Transmitters, Frequencies, Crystals and confusion

Hi flyers,

I have a JR XP652 which I bought when I was living in the United Kingdom. I have since returned to Australia, and broght the tx back, but left the plane.

The transmitter has a sticker on the back of it saying 35 Mhz and the crystal in it is 35.070. I understand that in Australia, planes use 36 Mhz. Basically what I want to know is, is it possible for me to just buy some local crystals and fly or do I need to do some soldering or should I just try to find someone who wants a 35 Mhz tx and doesn't need their old 36 Mhz tx?

Can anyone help Please?

Reply to
Dawson Brown

Easy, and best fix is to buy another radio. Eddie Fulmer

Reply to
Efulmer

35Mhz isn't a legal frequency in Oz, so you have to move to 36. It is quite possible that your TX might function quite OK with a 36Mhz crystal in it - the way to find out is to put one in it and send it for testing. My club requires that all TX's be tested and a sticker attached - there is a guy who has a frequency analyser that determines the actual transmitting frequency and the bandwidth. Provided it sits within a 20Khz bandwidth, you are OK to fly. The only other thing you need to check is that you have adequate range, which is easy to test yourself.

So you have 2 options, take a gamble and pay the fee for testing - our guy charges around $20, or just get a new 36Mhz transmitter.

Russ.

Reply to
Russ

Thanks for the pointers guys. Dawson

Reply to
Dawson Brown

Frankly, I'd say that it is far enough out that it might not function too well on 36 without a serious bit of retuning

I'd sell it to someone heading back to blighty, and buy a locally aproved set :-(

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had a 35Mhz set here in New Zealand many years ago (legal here on selected frequencies). Due to unknown interferrence problems I looked in to getting a New Zealand 40Mhz set, but then the New Zealand JR distributor offered to just retune it to 36Mhz (also legal here on selected frequncies)for a cheap price at the time and had no problems with it for the next three years. See how much it would cost to have it retuned to 36Mhz. Got to be less than a new radio.

Billy

Daws> Thanks for the pointers guys.

Reply to
Scotts Billy