trcycle landing gear

When I change a tail dragger to trycycle gear where will the gear on the wing be placed?

Reply to
rcroger

When I change a tail dragger to trycycle gear where will the gear on the wing be placed?

Reply to
rcroger

Somewhere behind the CG, preferably on the bottom.

Actually, a good quideline would be when the plane is tilted back on the tail, it stays there. That is, the CG would then be (at an angle) behind the gear axle.

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

You want the main wheels to be just "slightly" behind (arbitrarily 1/2" to 3/4") an imaginary vertical line that extends straight down from the usual CG point (25% to 30% from the leading edge of the wing) with the aircraft in a level attitude. Any further forward (if you put the gear in front of the CG) and the plane will fall back on it's tail. Any more rearward (further behind the CG) and it will want to stick to the ground when taking off as well as being uglier to land. You know it's right if the plane sits nicely on the ground but if you push the tail to the ground, it will stay there (because you shifted the angular CG behind the main wheel position on the ground). Whatever you do, make sure you don't screw up the proper balance of the aircraft; check it and add weight as necessary after you have done the conversion.

MJC

"rcroger" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
MJC

That would have the gear just a bit too far forward. The wheels should be a bit aft of that, so that the nose will still come down, but just barely. With the gear too far forward, the airplane's directional stability in the landing or takeoff rolls would be poor, and with the gear too far aft it will be hard to raise the nose for takeoff and landings will tend to slam the nosewheel down.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas

It's a judgement call all the way. Different types of planes will require different gear placement. I've done plenty of trike-to-tail conversions, and they're easy. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

I'm aware of that, just a comment that trike-to-tail is easier than tail-to-trike. Either way, it's a judgement call.

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

It's like evolution in reverse.

Texas Pete AMA 59376 maybe

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

Approximately 15 degrees behind a vertical line drawn thru the CG

CG |\ | \ | \ 15°

hth

J.D. to e-mail, pull the post

Reply to