Where to move - UK

Following (somewhat enforced !) early retirement we are now looking to move to somewhere in South or South West England. The South East seems a problem with over developmentment and apparently the third or fourth highest population density in the world.

I hate the UK winters so anywhere north of Bedford is too far north for me !!

Is the South (or South West) coast just too overdeveloped for model flying. I notice the rainfall rises once you get west of Bristol ? Is it pretty windy in Somerset etc ?

Colin

Reply to
C W

Move a little bit further south to Sydney Australia, Perfect flying weather all year round and plenty of flying fields.!!!

Regards

Tom Watson Sydney Australia

Reply to
Tommy

not too bad here in NZ either :)

Reply to
Gerry Attric

Isle of Wight........ Good clubs and best weather. John

Reply to
JB

Mm. I lve th esouth west.

Cornwall is rugged and sparsely populated and free of tourists away from the coasts.

Devon is softer and has very popualrt beaches in teh south, less so in teh north, Between lies darstmoor, and a little over, exmoor. Both wionderful places to settle into.

Somerest is a bit more civilised, but still great. Taunton is teh wrinklie capital of te south west.

Bags of places to fly. Yes, it des rain a lot, but not as much as wales and the norh West. Its warm too. warm and wet.

What about Guernsey :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not a bad idea. Haven't been there since the last pop festival in...blimey - 1968?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Seems like the Isle of Wight would be very expensive to buy/rent a place to live.

Arne

Reply to
Arne

My suggestion is, after been living i UK for 4 years and now early retired in the north (Sweden) is, Guildford, Godalming and Witley area along the railway from Waterloo down to the cost. Expensive, but really really nice areas

KajS

Reply to
Kajman

Check out estate agents, its not any more than the rest of the south.

Reply to
JB

You must be as old as me ;-o

Reply to
JB

I live in the south (High Wycombe) and I wouldn't be looking in this area to retire! Decent size homes going for 400,000 quid and crappily built on top of that.

Take your money and move to Florida or Texas!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Don't think so. No commerce there since its an island. Well not so much. Prices tend to reflect nearness to centers of great earning potential - e.g. London.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Used to be. Now populated by nouveau riche tossers in Volvos and BMW's.

Too near a center of great earning potential. Viz London.

No one who wants a bit of peace and quite and freedom wants

to live within 70 miles of London.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
GaijinGig

Visiting North Island NZ from the UK in a couple of months, staying with family in Tauranga. Any decent clubs/fields to visit while I'm there?

Also contemplating moving down there in a few years - any recommendations on best areas to look at from a model flying point of view?

Cheers, David

Reply to
David Williams

WTF is hyacinth Bucket when shes at home?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dunno. I fell asleep after being up for two days solid.

And i can't remember much of the rest ;-)

However, those who were there, might remember a large yellow kite flying over the campsite for three days till the wind dropped. Yus. That was mine!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
GaijinGig