Trim Tab set-up

I am in the process of building a plane and want to incorporate trim tabs on the elevator. I have built the elevator and tabs and am looking at help with the set-up. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a set-up that worked and could relate that to me. Specifically,

  1. What connectors-linkage used.
  2. What throws did you use.
  3. Were the connections on top or below the horizontal stab.

Thanks for the help!

FredD

Reply to
RedFred1

If it's a scale model you're sorta stuck with whatever the prototype had - some had exposed simple linkages, some had hidden linkages, and the degree of difficulty should be oblivious.

If you don't care about scale appearance you can do it any way you want, and it doesn't matter whether the linkages are on top or bottom.

What's more important is to get an appropriate ratio between the areas of the elevator and tab.

While not trim tabs per se, boost tabs are very similar with respect to linkages, except that the anchored end of the linkage on a trim tab is attached to the elevator, and the anchored end of the linkage on a boost tab is attached to the _stab_. Otherwise the linkages can be the same.

See

Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

Thanks Fred - Thats what I was looking for.

FredD

Reply to
RedFred1

One thing to keep in mind where servos are controlling the flight surfaces is that the trim tabs will work backwards to those on a real aircraft that depend on airflow to bring the control surfaces to a neutral position in flight. Not a big deal but something to remember. I have a not yet completed 96" Zlin 50L that has live boost tabs on the elevators and ailerons. With the new generation of servos they are just for the "wow" factor rather a necessity

Reply to
Dersu u

SNIP

Which kit? What power are you going to use?

TIA

-- Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Six_O'clock_High Target snipped-for-privacy@Guns.com

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Real old Ohio R/C kit most likely will power with a Brison 4.8 twin.

Reply to
Dersu u