water in fuel

I know that a small amount of water won't hurt. I left a cap off of a fuel jug in the rain for about 15 minutes, I'm sure it was at least an ounce of water. Ran just fine. If you cap your fuel tightly water won't get in it no matter how long you store it. I don't think the methanol degrades very fast, in fact Wagner only stated it would degrade in the presence of brass.

Obviously our engines won't run on water, most of us realize that our engines will run with very small amounts of water in the fuel. Perhaps the suprising part is just how much water. Actually I am more suprised that the oil doesn't seperate out, maybe he was constantly shaking the tank?

Reply to
Sport_Pilot

Ever HOLD a C/L model until the fuel ran out?

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

When my dad was in the Air Force in the 60's he guarded B52's and he often talked about there being ground personnel whom were responsible for keeping the water in the water tanks hot while on the B52's where on the ground. Appearently water and/or steam was injected into the engines during takeoff.

Reply to
emcook

True, but it was kept separate from the fuel and injected AFTER the fuel was burned.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Somebody try it with a tank of fuel,add 20% water to it and see how it runs.

Reply to
Courseyauto

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Courseyauto) posted message IDon 07 Jun 2004

19:20:33 GMT

Feel free.

Reply to
Todd Klondike

I don't think anyone is saying it won't work like that. What I am saying is that what does the water do if left to sit in the fuel for a month or more?

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Courseyauto) posted message IDon 07 Jun 2004

19:20:33 GMT

Todd spued forth:

I dont have any junk motors,and besides i know what the outcome will be.

Reply to
Courseyauto

Paul spued forth:

I don't think anyone is saying it won't work like that. What I am saying is that what does the water do if left to sit in the fuel for a month or more?

Well then let it sit for a month....Then try it

Reply to
Courseyauto

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Courseyauto) posted message IDon 07 Jun 2004

22:55:07 GMT

Spellchecker on the blink?

Well, then how aboot a nice STFU?

Reply to
Todd Klondike

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Courseyauto) posted message IDon 07 Jun 2004

22:55:07 GMT

Spellchecker on the blink?

well how about a nice SIUYA

Reply to
Courseyauto

Reply to
Brian Hampton

Water injection is added in the intake manifold or directly into the cylinders BEFORE the fuel is burned.

Reply to
Sport_Pilot

Water in fuel will react with the oil even if it doesn't hurt the methanol. The hydrogen and oxygen of the water molecule form acids with chlorine and sulfur compounds from the oil. Those acids are what destroy automobile and aircraft engines when they're run infrequently and for short periods; small amounts of water vapour from combustion get past the rings into the crankcase and condense there because the engine isn't hot enough to boil them off and out the breather. I suspect the water in glow fuel would form similar reactions with the methanol over time and form undesirable compounds.

Water in fuel comes in three forms: free water, which can be seen at the bottom of the container; as entrained water, which can sometimes be seen as tiny droplets, or as "snow" in cold fuel; and as dissolved water, which cannot be seen at all. Entrained or dissolved water in fuel can cause carburetor icing as the airflow accelerates through the venturi, lowering its pressure and therefore its temperature, and as fuel is sprayed into the airflow. Evaporating fuel absorbs heat and chills the carb further. Ice forms on the carb walls and on the throttle butterfly, if there is one. Carb icing has been noted at temperatures as high as 100 degrees fahrenheit in some engines. Icing in glow engines should be rather rare, seeing that the carb is usually part of the crankcase and should get warm enough to prevent it, but I imagine some modelers have run into it at lower power settings. It would be a bigger problem on gas engines. Carb ice can also form on humid days from atmospheric moisture.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas

Gee, I wonder how bit the cylinders are in a B-52!!!!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

That's mostly true only with petroleum oils. Since most petroleum oils are not compatible with our fuels, it isn't much of a problem in that respect.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

LOL! I was wondering if anyone else noticed that one!.

responsible

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

So I guess the theory is something like:

Water was injected into the exhaust side of the turbine engines where it turns to steam and expands increasing the volume of expelled gases from the engine. Thus increasing overall thrust of the engine.

I guess they wanted the water boiling before takeoff so it would turn to steam more easily, and to prevent the exhaust gases from being cooled excessively, thus less expansion, less thrust.

Reply to
emcook

I see that glow fuels are still using mineral oils, which are petroleum-based. Fuels using synthetics would be no problem.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas

What glow fuels are using mineral ols? I don't know of any. All of the main ones use either castor oil or various synthetics.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh