What is the Real Flight G3????

The trouble is Frank, Great Planes (or RealFlight) have a history of telling us how it's going to be, how it's going to change things and how quickly these things will happen, but failing miserably in the delivery department. The original RealFlight was a dog, but we were promised that it'd be fixed "ASAP". Well "ASAP" was a LONG time coming and when the fix finally arrived, it addressed less thtan half the known problems.

Then they brought out G2 which itself had (and still has) a few issues which have never been sorted. As someone already pointed out, the landings need to be stalled, or the planks bounce and if you're into heli's, they can't be "slid-on" like all the models I've ever flown can. (And that's just a couple of areas where there's room for improvement)

Reply to
Beav

gotta agree with that, hopefully that's addressed. those issues are more important to me than fancier graphics, especially since my computer might have trouble digesting G3 or Reflex for that matter.

Reply to
Frank Costa

Carl,

You can add "shamelss" to that as well. This thread is about RealFlight G3, but you just couldn't resist making a totally unsupported assertion in order to get a plug in for Reflex, could you?

John

Carl Farr>

Reply to
John Morley

Ha! On one of the tower pages, it says that the helicopter functions will available by free upgrade in the Spring of 2005

Sounds like we can expect a long long wait for this to happen.

Reply to
Robert A. Plourde Jr.

There's a downside to that. I've lost count of the number of times a company has hyped the living bejeezus out of something for months and months and months. I start out ready to open my wallet, but as time passes, my interest wanes. Usually by the time the product hits the market, I've moved on to something else and have no interest. They lose a sale. Wonder how often that happens.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

There's a downside to that. I've lost count of the number of times a company has hyped the living bejeezus out of something for months and months and months. I start out ready to open my wallet, but as time passes, my interest wanes. Usually by the time the product hits the market, I've moved on to something else and have no interest. They lose a sale. Wonder how often that happens.

------------------- Happens to me all the time,i used to impluse buy a lot but i take more time to think it over.

Reply to
Courseyauto

To be honest I read the thread as a question about Great Planes anouncement of Realflight G3, which I had (perhaps cynically) decided was a response to the Reflex people totally changing the playing field. hence the support was there, and it was a fair response.

This is like when 3DFX introduced hardware based 3D graphics cards to the PC (Voodoo). It is *that* much ahead in terms of quality from what I can see.

Hell I don't even use these things. I don't even have a heli any more! I just think too much ;)

Here's another one of my thoughts. Probably totally untrue again, but I have an idea in my head that GreatPlanes just hire contractors to write the software.. then it's done. Did someone mention something about constant development since G2 was released? I doubt it!

Whoever these guys are that do Reflex, I get a real sense of pride from them. They know they done good.

Reply to
Carl Farrington

Just for the record, "vaporware" is actually a word.

Reply to
Caden

New techie words like Spyware, Malware, Vaporware come into popular use all the time, some stay and some go. Remember Cyberspace?

Reply to
Frank Costa

Remember it? I bloody WENT there! :-)

Reply to
Beav

: According to the Real Flight web page, they have a G3 version : coming out. What is up with it? Any advanced word? :

Well, Tower Hobbies, which is owned by Great Planes, has the G2 version for $149.99. Looks like they are discounting the current version so as to make room for the next one.

Reply to
N9NWO

: Tower has all the new features advertised. : : "Available late October" : : $219.99

Tower has G2 for $149.99. Would be better to wait for the G3 version or just purchase the G2? I assume that the G2 version will NOT upgrade to G3....

Reply to
N9NWO

| Tower has G2 for $149.99. Would be better to wait for the | G3 version or just purchase the G2?

Unless you need to have it today, I'd suggest waiting.

Once G3 comes out, if you really want G2 cheap, I'll bet you can get a used copy cheap.

| I assume that the G2 version will NOT upgrade to G3....

Knowing GP/Knife Edge, it will, but for about $100.

And it'll have like 7 different types of copy protection on it to make sure they get their $100 ...

Reply to
Doug McLaren