what's your opinion?

I had made a post on RCU about airplane and noise and mentioned the fact that the moderators had closed a previous thread on a different subject with no explination. In this statement I used the adjective "Nazi" to describe the moderators @ RCU.

My question is,

Do any of you find this term "offensive"?

Keep in mind, this is part of history and this term is being used in our educational system while teaching history.

Reply to
Ted

Would you be offended if somebody called YOU a nazi? I probably would.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I would take the comment as it was intended. "Constructive criticism" with a poorly selected adjective as the descriptor.

Reply to
Ted

This term, and the term "Gestapo", is commonly used to describe anyone who is overly officious, dictatorial, or participates in police actions.

However, it's hard to equate a moderator on RCU with the most vicious gang of psuedo-human beings who ever lived.

Your complaint, although probably justified, could have been phrased better.

Would I take offense? No, I'd consider the source and ignore it. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Yes I think the term is offensive, especially in the way you used it. It's fine to a Jewish person a Jew, but to call somebody that's cheap a Jew, is offensive is it not? Nazi is the slang term used to call the Nationlist party in Germany. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Germans called themselves Nazi's. I think it falls in the same line of calling somebody from the soviet union a Commi.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

It is patently offensive when you use the word in a completely non-historical context.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

If it was such a poorly selected adjective, then why did you elect to use it yourself?

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Keep in mind, this is part of history and this term is being used in our

I have a cutting file called a 'bastard', but I believe that the word might be offensive if used out of context. My opinion is that it is too easy to be offensive and inconsiderate of other people in NGs. What might seem reasonable to you could very easily deeply upset another. For example, it seems perfectly reasonable to me to say that 'upsetting other people by being insensitive to their feelings and opinions seems to be an American trait.'

My advice is to avoid such confrontational language unless confrontation is your aim.

CM

Reply to
CliveM

It totally depends on the CONTEXT you use it in. Context is dependent upon useage. It is when someone perceives the word out of that context when the problems begin. Bastard used to define a type of file is a totally different context than calling someone a bastard. Both times, the word is used in context.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Is there a modern-day context in which calling someone a Nazi is considered polite?

Reply to
David Smith

confrontation

Reply to
CliveM

Reply to
CliveM

Good advice as many of us are incapable of viewing things from another's perspective. I have to sign up for that as I am just as guilty of this as anyone else here!. Actually that viewpoint failure probably describes the majority of the rife and strife seen here.

Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Six_O'clock_High Target snipped-for-privacy@Guns.com

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Only if they AR$E one! ;^)

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Reply to
CliveM

Sometimes it's an obvious joke, like "Soup Nazi" on Seinfeld. However, otherwise I would consider it an insult if directed to me. I think it's too important to trivialize.

Reply to
John R. Agnew

Reply to
John R. Agnew

People who would paint a swastika on a statue of Anne Frank are not rational and I have yet to discover a rational way to deal with irrational people.

Reply to
John R. Agnew