Registration

Hi all, Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide, but this inquiry is one of principal. My boss recently purchased a complete copy of autocad 2000 from another related industry(mechanical engineering) who went out of business. This lady was the original owner of the autocad and purchased it new. The boss purchased various other components as well, ie computers, printers and so on. ON trying to recently register the autocad he was told by autodesk that they would not re register it and the purchased copy would be deemed to be illegal and he would have to buy another copy. Now correct me if I am wrong but I am under the impression that to purchase goods in good faith from their rightful owner means title to those goods pass to the new owner. Anyway does any one have any info as to what is going on with autodesk, why they refuse to register this legitimately purchased copy or are they a typical large corporate pack of DICKHEADS. I know the boss is talking about switching totally to archicad and they will not receive any good press re this. ARE THERE ANY PRECIDENTS OR INFO THAT I CAN HELP HIM WITH RE THIS DILEMNA.

Regards Jim W

Reply to
Jim Williams

HiHo; If the group went out of business just pruchase the company. AutoDesk will honor the software if one purchased the business.

Reply to
bestafor

You are actually wrong. By the terms of Adesk's EULA, the original purchaser had no right to sell it to your boss. You buy the right to use the software, not the software itself.

I suppose they are a 'typical large corporate pack of DICKHEADS'. I can't/won't defend their position. I think it's childish and ridiculous, but that's what happens when there are too many lawyers running around loose. This topic has been the focus of some rather heated debate for some time.

If you're in the US, I don't think there is much hope, though I could certainly be wrong. Talk to a local dealer, if you haven't yet, maybe they can help with a purchasing deal.

Reply to
TomD

Jim Williams schrieb:

He can emigrate into another country ;-). We here e.g. in Germany have other laws which would help him.

Juergen

Reply to
Jürgen Palme

Right and wrong at the same time. When you purchase something it is yours (subject to the agreement), but in this case what was purchased was only the right to use the software, not the right to resell it, etc. Rights to many things are sold much in the same way. You may own a piece of land, but the mineral rights may belong to someone else for example.

Generally , software is not sold, but only licenses to use it are sold, but often the license is transferable. In this case it is not. Details in the license vary greatly. Some reserve the right to revoke the licese for any reason at any time (apparently without compensation), some limit the type of work that may be done (educational versions), etc.

Its certainly not illegal. What is illegal was for the previous owner to sell your boss the software when the previous owner had no legal right to do so. And while I don't agree with Autodesks license restrictions, your only recourse is probably with the previous owner.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Arheit

We've gone threough that horseshit a number of times. The only way thay can do this is if you sign a contract before money changes hands. After the fact does not make it.

Reply to
CW

What does registration do for it. Does a registered copy become more usable some how. Did you buy the clothes you're wearing? Are they registered? if not, I guess you wasted your money.

Reply to
CW

Then why would/should anyone pay for such a copy?!? If it isn't registerable, it isn't worth $0.02. JMO, of course.

Reply to
TomD

You can debate this from now 'til doomsday. The fact of the matter is that Adesk does (and has) go after some folks for unregistered versions. How much would it cost to defend yourself against a law suit filed by Adesk? Most likley more that a couple grand.

You can hold your breath and stomp up and down all you like, but it doesn't change reality. They're policy sucks. Deal with it or buy from another company. Just consider the ramifications of advising someone to ignore the facts of the situation.

It's been said here that their policies have been defeated to some extent in Europe. I don't know if it's true, or to what extent, but it's worth noting to anyone interested in this thread.

Reply to
TomD

The original poster said his boss already bought it, now has found that he can't register it. Anyone should ALWAYS consider all of their software options. If they're not doing so, they're being foolish.

I guess you would have to clarify what you mean by 'legal'. Yes, I suppose he legally owns it, but he is not permitted, legally, to use it. That being the case, it makes no sense to make the purchase. Why pay for something that is illegal when you get the same thing for free?

Reply to
TomD

You still don't get it. He bought it. He owns it. He can use it. Maybe you should check yourself into a rehab center. Maybe they can cure you of the effects of AutoDesk brainwashing.

Reply to
CW

Maybe it's brainwashing but Autodesk only sells the license not the software. The software is copyright and registered with the US Patent Office.

Reply to
RonB

They sell software but retain the copyright. Get it strait.

Reply to
CW

Sorry CW, but in trying to get it straight you got it wrong.

The point is that Autodesk do not sell software.. they sell licences to use software. There is a World of difference between the two. Once you have purchased the licence to use it they then kindly supply you with a CD containing the code so that you can exercise the "right to use the software" you have purchased. Note the right to use is purchased.. not the software. The CD is not the software.

The EULA does not permit the transfer of licences to third parties.

Registration is only necessary because to upgrade a licence it must be registered. If it is not registered then Autodesk don't know you have it so they won't upgrade it.

AutoDesk licences are limited too, for example a licence purchased in the USA is not legal for use outside of the geographical boundaries of the USA. That is a great pity for us here in the UK where AutoCAD costs the equivalent of about US$4500.00. I could travel to the USA and buy the shrink wrap, register it in the USA, and come back here and my right to use the software remains in the USA.

Reply to
Chris D (The CAD Man)

LMAO.............maybe you should quit confusing common sense and logic with law.

If he uses the software based on your advice/logic, he could (unlikely, maybe, but quite possibly) wind up in a world of legal hurt. That's a fact, though you're certainly free to piss, moan and dispute it all you like.

Reply to
TomD

I believe there is a precedent dealing with Adobe or Corel software that would suggest that he legally bought and can use the software. But I doubt if Adesk came bullying around it would cost him less to defend himself than to write the purchase off as a bad investment and buy new some software that would not be subject to such disagreements. And if I had this bad taste in my mouth it wouldn't be more of the same from Adesk.

Doug T

Jürgen Palme wrote:

Reply to
Doug T

They sell software. Listen to the law, not AutoDesk. They have a troop of paid liers (also known as lawyers) working for them. They are paid to talk crap.

Reply to
CW

You are quite correct.

Reply to