question about buying a license

I recently bought a version of autocad over the internet which came in the original box with all the original cd's and the product keys and manuals.......... since i have a receipt for this purchase could I go to AUtodesk and obtain a license for my copy now? Also could I update this version 2000 architectural desktop......

Reply to
don

It was not a "pirated copy" if you read my post I said "all original cd's"

Reply to
don

Part of the AUP is that the software is NOT to be resold. So while you may have purchased "original" CDs, they're illegal/piracy because reselling is strictly forbidden.

To address the upgrade issue, even if your copy was legit and licensable,

2000 has been "retired" and as such is no longer upgradeable.

Depending upon your needs I'd suggest you look into AutoCAD LT or IntelliCAD, both are reasonably priced alternatives.

HTH,

Michael (LS)

Reply to
Michael (LS)

There was a day that you could, but I think those days are gone.

I love AutoCAD and think it's a wonderful tool, but I don't like the AutoDesk policy of not being able to sell your copy if need be. It's kinda like buying a car and being told you cannot legally resell it. Back in the day, when out company was just starting out, we bought several copies, transferred the license, and then upgraded, all legal. But now, if your company goes out of business, or you have to seriously downsize, you can sell the computer, the desk and the chair, but not the software.

Oh well...to answer your question, I do not believe that you can register your software unless it was bought form a licensed AutoCAD dealer. Best bet, call AutoDesk.

jojo

Reply to
jojo

Well I checked the link you guys sent me and under the FAQ section it said the only requirment was to provide a valid serial number from the upgrade product which is alittle scary since that number is not going back to my name and address.... so I guess I'll have to call AutoDesk from a PayPhone - hahahaha

Thanks for all the advice........

Reply to
don

Unfortunately it does not mean that the package has NOT already been registered by someone and then upgraded. After all, I have all the original CD's, manuals and packaging for R14 even though I have upgraded it. If you have all the original items, one of them would be the license agreement. That should tell you whether the license can be transferred or not.

You will find it is up to Autodesk as to whether they will transfer the license to you if it has never been upgraded already.

Next you mention you want to upgrade it to ADT 2000. Well, the 2000 series of programs were retired a few years back now, and Autodesk do not upgrade to anything but the current version.

Reply to
Ian A. White

I saw what you wrote, and yes Autodesk does operate a legacy program in some areas where

"Purchase a current version of Autodesk software by July 31, 2006, and save up to 45%*. Take advantage of this limited-time offer when you buy AutoCAD 2007 software or the current release of an Autodesk building, manufacturing, or infrastructure management solution."

As I understand it, the 45% discount is conditional on taking up a subscription.

The OP did want to be able to "update to version 2000 architectural desktop".

Reply to
Ian A. White

What this person did when he sold you the program was probably sold you his old version that he upgraded.

Now... if you put the product key " serial number" then it would work to install but I would contact Autodesk about it.

If isnt a legit copy then you got screwed....

How much did you pay for it? This person you bought it from is screwing you and suggest you turn him in.

Reply to
GOD

Dear God:

your help may be needed in locating the seller. you would know. (sympathy - within some limits - is felt from here)

Reply to
roy