where can i buy a copy of Autocad Release 14?

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a copy of Audtocad Release 14?
Reply to
PalmerRon
From Autodesk of course
Reply to
me
No you can't.
Reply to
George P
You canprobably find R14 using a BitTorrent client
Can anyone tell me where I can buy a copy of Audtocad Release 14?
Reply to
clintonG
But Clinton, that would be an illegal copy.
cl> You canprobably find R14 using a BitTorrent client
Reply to
Jerry G
Ooops. I suppose you're right. Why would somebody want r14 rather than a current version?
me
Fast version, lighter footprint, little 3d work, lots of legacy customization.
Reply to
Michael Bulatovich
Maybe they're running it on an older slower computer.
me wrote:
Reply to
Jerry G
Illegal? How? R14 is a discontinued product, it is no longer sold or supported, hence there is no requirement to abide by the former R14 license as the former R14 license has expired.
Reply to
clintonG
lol intresting way of looking at it, wonder if that would stand up in court
Reply to
Remo Shiva
Whether they sell or support is not relevant. They still own it, and have the right to sue anyone that steals their intellectual property. Even if they(Autodesk) went belly-up, their rights would simply transfer as a result of the bankruptcy. If I own the patent on a type of hard drive, but don't build or sell that type of hard drive because I now sell memory based drives, doesn't mean you can build or sell my type of hard drive without paying me for the right to use my patented technology. If I own a tv that sits in my garage and is never used doesn't mean you can take my tv.
cl> Illegal? How? R14 is a discontinued product, it is no longer sold or
Reply to
Jerry G
Remo Shiva wrote in news:UF7sh.25$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:
You used to be able to buy R14 - 2K on a single CD in Kowloon ... If you have a personal dated receipt issued in a country that had not yet signed the International Convention on Copyright AND you don't make copies for other people you're probably ok :-)
Reply to
Troppo
Interesting analogy. Intellectual propoperty rights don't apply to something like a TV. Its content yes but not its electronics. Does the same copyrights used for artistic creations apply to software? I doubt it. Now don't patents run out after 17 years?
Reply to
Steve
Software is intellectual property and invention combined, governed by copyrights and patents. Copyrights have much longer expiration dates. Look at "Peter Pan, which is still protected by copyright. Something like 70 years after death of heirs. What is death of heirs for corporations?
Steve wrote:
Reply to
Jerry G
Which one is it? copyright or patent? with what expiration date???
corporations?

Steve
Neither copyright nor patent apply to the context of this aspect of obtaining and using R14. That's why software vendors invented the doctrine of licensing "intellectual" property which is an intangible product used in commerce. Copyright only applies to the tangible implementation of the code and any patent similarly so. Its is the license which is used to govern the "use" of something.
The assumption that rights would transfer is called subrogation. Can any of us transfer (subrogate) a licensed copy of AutoCrap 2007 without permission of the licensee? Hardy Har Har. No. And why not? Because the 2007 license has not been abandoned.
R14 has been abandoned by its licensee, hence except for the copyright and any patent which would still apply to the source code the use of the thing itself would no longer be governed by its former license as the license to use has been abandoned..
As it has been noted however it would be a good argument in court which is where AutoWeasel could win...but... it could easily be shown with one single motion to show cause that AutoWeasel has not vigorously persued and prosecuted any engineering firms, architects or anybody else still using R14 in practice. Not a single one. Boom Boom. Out go the lights.
Using BitTorrent is how people can obtain abandoned software.
Which one is it? copyright or patent? with what expiration date???
Reply to
clintonG
AutoDesk still own the COPYRIGHT therefore legal still own the software.
Illegal? How? R14 is a discontinued product, it is no longer sold or supported, hence there is no requirement to abide by the former R14 license as the former R14 license has expired.
Reply to
Mason
Specific code would be copyright. Concepts would be patented. So if they invent a method for handling drawings such as modelspace and paperspace they patent that and no one else can use that concept in their product. But the actual lines of code to implement the concept are copyrighted. When the patent runs out you, the competitor are allowed to introduce that concept into your drawing, but you have to write unique code (not copy the lines) to get there.
Steve wrote:
Reply to
Jerry G
Disagree vehemently. Lack of support and refusal to sell a product does not mean abandonment of license agreement rights. Autocad never proceeded with suing people who continue to use the older products simply because the license agreement did not state a time frame limitation for use of the product. They simply stopped giving discounts for updating the products. In fact the argument that they have abandoned the product is easily contradicted by the fact that the service packs for R14 are still available on the autodesk website. They may not be writing updated patches, but they still maintain the product sufficiently to claim any and all rights to the product. If I sell you my old copy of Autocad 2000, I am still subject to the license agreement that I accepted when I first installed and clicked "I accept," including Autodesk's right to refusal with regards to the assigning of my rights to the use of the software. The agreement is in perpetuity.
cl> Neither copyright nor patent apply to the context of this aspect of
Reply to
Jerry G