where can i buy a copy of Autocad Release 14?

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a copy of Audtocad Release 14?

From Autodesk of course

No you can't.

Ooops. I suppose you're right. Why would somebody want r14 rather than a current version?

Fast version, lighter footprint, little 3d work, lots of legacy customization.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
me wrote:

perhaps ebay...
--
hpspt

You canprobably find R14 using a BitTorrent client
<%= Clinton Gallagher NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com URL http://clintongallagher.metromilwaukee.com / MAP http://wikimapia.org/#yC038073&x=-88043838&z &l=0&m=h

But Clinton, that would be an illegal copy.
clintonG wrote:

Illegal? How? R14 is a discontinued product, it is no longer sold or supported, hence there is no requirement to abide by the former R14 license as the former R14 license has expired.

clintonG wrote:

lol intresting way of looking at it, wonder if that would stand up in court

You used to be able to buy R14 - 2K on a single CD in Kowloon ... If you have a personal dated receipt issued in a country that had not yet signed the International Convention on Copyright AND you don't make copies for other people you're probably ok :-)
Whether they sell or support is not relevant. They still own it, and have the right to sue anyone that steals their intellectual property. Even if they(Autodesk) went belly-up, their rights would simply transfer as a result of the bankruptcy. If I own the patent on a type of hard drive, but don't build or sell that type of hard drive because I now sell memory based drives, doesn't mean you can build or sell my type of hard drive without paying me for the right to use my patented technology. If I own a tv that sits in my garage and is never used doesn't mean you can take my tv.
clintonG wrote:

Interesting analogy. Intellectual propoperty rights don't apply to something like a TV. Its content yes but not its electronics. Does the same copyrights used for artistic creations apply to software? I doubt it. Now don't patents run out after 17 years?

Software is intellectual property and invention combined, governed by copyrights and patents. Copyrights have much longer expiration dates. Look at "Peter Pan, which is still protected by copyright. Something like 70 years after death of heirs. What is death of heirs for corporations?
Steve wrote:

Which one is it? copyright or patent? with what expiration date???

Neither copyright nor patent apply to the context of this aspect of obtaining and using R14. That's why software vendors invented the doctrine of licensing "intellectual" property which is an intangible product used in commerce. Copyright only applies to the tangible implementation of the code and any patent similarly so. Its is the license which is used to govern the "use" of something.
The assumption that rights would transfer is called subrogation. Can any of us transfer (subrogate) a licensed copy of AutoCrap 2007 without permission of the licensee? Hardy Har Har. No. And why not? Because the 2007 license has not been abandoned.
R14 has been abandoned by its licensee, hence except for the copyright and any patent which would still apply to the source code the use of the thing itself would no longer be governed by its former license as the license to use has been abandoned..
As it has been noted however it would be a good argument in court which is where AutoWeasel could win...but... it could easily be shown with one single motion to show cause that AutoWeasel has not vigorously persued and prosecuted any engineering firms, architects or anybody else still using R14 in practice. Not a single one. Boom Boom. Out go the lights.
Using BitTorrent is how people can obtain abandoned software.
<%= Clinton Gallagher NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com URL http://clintongallagher.metromilwaukee.com / MAP http://wikimapia.org/#yC038073&x=-88043838&z &l=0&m=h

    Disagree vehemently. Lack of support and refusal to sell a product does not mean abandonment of license agreement rights. Autocad never proceeded with suing people who continue to use the older products simply because the license agreement did not state a time frame limitation for use of the product. They simply stopped giving discounts for updating the products.     In fact the argument that they have abandoned the product is easily contradicted by the fact that the service packs for R14 are still available on the autodesk website. They may not be writing updated patches, but they still maintain the product sufficiently to claim any and all rights to the product.     If I sell you my old copy of Autocad 2000, I am still subject to the license agreement that I accepted when I first installed and clicked "I accept," including Autodesk's right to refusal with regards to the assigning of my rights to the use of the software. The agreement is in perpetuity.
clintonG wrote:

<<The agreement is in perpetuity.

What about the heirs after the person, who agreed to the license agreement, rests in peace??? What then? the disks must be returned to autodesk?? By law the heirs inherit the disks (paid for) but are not bound to any contract.

Not being a lawyer, I can only assume that it would be similar to a mortgage on a home. The transfer of the home is subject to the conditions on the title, such as the mortgage,tax liabilities, home owner's association rules etc. Similarly the transfer of the rights to use the software would be subject to the terms that were accepted by the person who originally purchased the software. If you don't like the rules you have the option to allow the property to be claimed by the mortgagor (you can't be forced to accept an inheritance) or the software licensor.