where can i buy a copy of Autocad Release 14?

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a copy of Audtocad Release 14?

Reply to
PalmerRon

From Autodesk of course

Reply to
me

No you can't.

Reply to
George P

You canprobably find R14 using a BitTorrent client

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a copy of Audtocad Release 14?

Reply to
clintonG

Reply to
Jerry G

Ooops. I suppose you're right. Why would somebody want r14 rather than a current version?

me

Fast version, lighter footprint, little 3d work, lots of legacy customization.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Reply to
Jerry G

Illegal? How? R14 is a discontinued product, it is no longer sold or supported, hence there is no requirement to abide by the former R14 license as the former R14 license has expired.

Reply to
clintonG

lol intresting way of looking at it, wonder if that would stand up in court

Reply to
Remo Shiva

Reply to
Jerry G

Remo Shiva wrote in news:UF7sh.25$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

You used to be able to buy R14 - 2K on a single CD in Kowloon ... If you have a personal dated receipt issued in a country that had not yet signed the International Convention on Copyright AND you don't make copies for other people you're probably ok :-)

Reply to
Troppo

Interesting analogy. Intellectual propoperty rights don't apply to something like a TV. Its content yes but not its electronics. Does the same copyrights used for artistic creations apply to software? I doubt it. Now don't patents run out after 17 years?

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Jerry G

Which one is it? copyright or patent? with what expiration date???

corporations?

Steve

Neither copyright nor patent apply to the context of this aspect of obtaining and using R14. That's why software vendors invented the doctrine of licensing "intellectual" property which is an intangible product used in commerce. Copyright only applies to the tangible implementation of the code and any patent similarly so. Its is the license which is used to govern the "use" of something.

The assumption that rights would transfer is called subrogation. Can any of us transfer (subrogate) a licensed copy of AutoCrap 2007 without permission of the licensee? Hardy Har Har. No. And why not? Because the 2007 license has not been abandoned.

R14 has been abandoned by its licensee, hence except for the copyright and any patent which would still apply to the source code the use of the thing itself would no longer be governed by its former license as the license to use has been abandoned..

As it has been noted however it would be a good argument in court which is where AutoWeasel could win...but... it could easily be shown with one single motion to show cause that AutoWeasel has not vigorously persued and prosecuted any engineering firms, architects or anybody else still using R14 in practice. Not a single one. Boom Boom. Out go the lights.

Using BitTorrent is how people can obtain abandoned software.

Which one is it? copyright or patent? with what expiration date???

Reply to
clintonG
Reply to
Mason