LDRS - What's in a name?

There is a thread about the Discovery Channel show on a radio-control model airplane site, the following comment was made by the moderator:

The thing that got me was all of the safety issues, and then >the close up of the chute launch system pre-igniting, and knocking >the guy off the ladder, during the pre-launch setup. Talk about >national coverage of an accident waiting to happen......makes >some of the stuff that happens to aero-modelers look tame by >comparison. ( Please NO comments about the recent deaths in RC >modeling) I'm sure that somewhere, sometime, SOMEONE has bought >lunch from a model rocket. It is just the fact that they made >this a part of the story, and it showed the dangers of model >rocketry so honestly. Also think the word "Dangerous" was in >the sanction name of the event.........

On ROL there have been discussions that LDRS is not a good name in the current enviroment, that having the word "dangerous" in there is no longer funny. I agree. Also that the show, while generating interest, might give an innacurate impression of what rocketry is really like. I think these qouted comments prove just that.

The whole discussion is at

Forums -> AMA Discussions You need to register to post.

A former NAR member said in that thread:

I belonged to NAR, I spend $64.00 for my insurance and I fly nothing >larger than an F size motor, and you know, I never hear about >POLITICS AND WHINING LIKE I DO FROM MEMBERS AND DISTRICT REPS >OF THE AMA!

I guess he never read r.m.r.

Reply to
random noise

ROFL. Gee I wonderif this would have been alot better of a problemto solve in 1986 and 10 times since, every time it comes up?

Now that the USA has INVADED Tripoli, Iraq, what's the point?

Seriously.

Close the barn door a decade after the horse left?

AMA is worse. Far worse.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yougottabekidd.ing trolls on in, drops his pants and...

You know what is funny? An anonymous poster asking "What's in a name?"

ROTFLMAO

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

How many recent deaths or even not-so recent deaths can be attributed to Hobby Rocketry? Alot less than RC airplanes methinks. I'm pretty sure the number is zero. What certifications do you need to fly RC? None?

I was watching them tune-up model airplane engines on a static run-on stand on the R/C Hobbies show on DIY. I swore the guy was going to lose a few fingers the way he kept reaching behind the prop when the engine was running at full speed. Talk about dangerous!

I have NOTHING against R/C airplanes, hey, to each his own! I just have a problem with R/C guys saying how dangerous rocketry is, and then say "no comments please about the recent R/C deaths" Plural....as in multiple deaths. Talk about hypocritical. BTW: The guy on the launch tower was OK.

Please check the board, this subject has already been beat to death here.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

Reply to
J.A. Michel

I think those guys flying RC planes should be required to wear helmets.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

I think you mistunderstood the point of my post. I agree 100% with the above - R/C is FAR more dangerous. But these guys got the IMPRESSION that rocketry is more dangerous. It is a myth that will not die.

And yes, you need no certification of any kind to fly R/C, except for turbines.

Reply to
random noise

They do for pylon racing.

Reply to
random noise

If everyone wants to keep the name, OK. Fine. Whatever.

But then don't be surprised if those not in on the joke take it literally.

Reply to
random noise

I didn't say I was either for or against the 'D' in the LDRS acronymn, just that the subject has come up many times.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Racing pylons? Sounds pretty boring to me. ;)

"Up next: Watching paint dry!"

Reply to
RayDunakin

Ummm......Tripoli is in Libya, Not Iraq

-- Bruce Kirchner TRA L2 #5888 Michigan Team 1 High Power Rocketry Proud Gun Owner!

Reply to
Bruce Kirchner

I'm sorry. My bad.

Then Tripoli SHOULD still change its name or better yet dissolve altogether for crimes against the hobby.

I doubt Bush will invade Libya.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Too bad

Sorry I didn't catch your name

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

so true!! especially the innocent spectators

Chuck Rudy

Looks like that's not enough

notice estevens post 2/3 the way down........maybe they need bunkers

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

like random noise? :-D

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

So uh, which forum? Maybe they need a good talking too....

Pax

Reply to
Paxton

Still haven't seen a name........my dog just made a random noise, and it's starting to stink in here.........I'll be back, maybe he has to go out.......at least my dog would have the cajones to give his real name........Dakota.....cool name, eh?

not to beat a dead horse........and you may want to remove the name remote from remote control as I've noticed on the news they explain many bombs have been detonated 'remotely'.........maybe distant control, or ground control, but remote control stirs up terrorist thoughts, so what's really in a name? Go back under the bridge.

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

could have sworn that it was in wisconsin

Reply to
tater schuld

The ATF knows it's in Orem, UT.

Reply to