Will the Firebird Outlaw fly with the larger battery?

The Firebird Outlaw...

...uses a 6 volt battery pack.

I guess they are 2/3 AAA batteries.

I will probably try using AAA batteries.

Do you think it will fly?

Thank you.

Reply to
John Doe

| The Firebird Outlaw... | ...uses a 6 volt battery pack. | I guess they are 2/3 AAA batteries. | I will probably try using AAA batteries. | Do you think it will fly?

AAA cells are about 50% larger than 2/3 AAA cells, so my guess is that AAA cells will weight about 50% more than 2/3 AAA cells. (Probably a bit less than 50% more.)

You could test it yourself -- weigh the current pack, then divide by two, then stick that much weight in lead or coins to the center of gravity of the plane. Then try to fly.

And of course AAA cells may not even fit inside the plane ...

Reply to
Doug McLaren

I think trying what Doug recommended (add about 3/4 ounce at the CG) is the best and cheapest way to find out.

I found these specs on

They might tell you if the bigger battery will fit.

Gold Peak 400 mah 2/3 AAA

1.13 x 0.44 x 0.44 inch 0.27oz

Gold Peak 700 mah AAA

1.7 x 0.44 x 0.44 inch 0.40oz