Wiring question and two others

Hi,

Just getting back into R/C after a long, long time. (I built a "Gentle Lady" glider about 20 years ago).

Well, I have two basic questions regarding a glider that I am currently assembling.

  1. I have a 5 channel receiver and cannot figure out where the battery connects to! There are 5 sets of 3-pin connectors labeled "1" through "5", and then a 2 pin socket for the crystal. My servo's have the 3 pin connectors, so they look like they plug right in.

Could someone please tell me where the battery connects to?

  1. This glider uses these tiny servos that attach on the wings right ahead of the ailerons, on the outside of the wing. The instructions suggest to double-sided-sticky-tape them to the wing. Is this really a good way to attach the servo's? I'm not sure if I should introduce extra weight by, instead, using a small mounting plate and screws. I was wondering if using silicone rubber might be a good option as it would be possible to remove. Note that the wing is balsa covered with heat-shrink.

Regards,

MB

Reply to
MonkeyBoy

The battery can be plugged into any of the servo sockets, 1 thru 5. Make sure the positive and negative match the positive and negative of the servos. You can use double sided tape or silicone, whichever works for you. They make a double sided with foam in the middle servo tape just for mounting servos. You can also use double sided carpet tape. If you clean both surfaces real well, that stuff is VERY difficult to remove and shouldnt come loose when you dont want it to.

Reply to
Fubar

If you run out of slots, plug a "Y" cable into any servo slot, and plug the servo and the battery into the "Y" connector.

Same thing as having an additional slot in the Rx. Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust home.mindspring.com/~the-plumber

Reply to
Fred McClellan

The battery can be plugged into any available channel. Usually, if you look at channel 5, it will say "CH5/BATT". If you are using all 5 channels (say because you're mixing your ailerons), then take the least critical channel and plug a Y harness into the receiver, then the battery and servo have a place to go.

Depends on the model. Usually (but not always) the kit maker is recommending something that has been proven to work IF done properly. I personally don't trust servo tape, but you haven't told us enough about the model to know if the extra weight would be an issue.

I'd probably cut a hole in the wing and try to mount the servo normally.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Spot on, Fred...

But be sure the "Y" cable is heavy enough to carry the load of all the electronics, at least on the battery side. Most "Y" connectors used for tying two servos together are really too light for the job..

A few years back, you had to roll yer own but now Futaba makes one (Tower # FUTM4135; Futaba # AEC16 Dual Heavy Duty Extension) from 20 ga. wire. Plug the battery in one side and the servo in t'other and you're good to go.....

Cheers,

Bill

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

Thanks all for the advice!

I was reading some other articles on the newsgroup yesterday and noticed some mentioning that the speed control for the motor also has a connection for the battery. I have a speed control for this plane (which I didn't mention) but haven't looked closely at it yet.

In any case, now I understand how power gets to the at receiver!

I started to build the kit last night and, contrary to what I initially had stated, the aileron servo's actually get mounted inside the wing, just ahead of the ailerons. I'll give the sticky tape a shot and see how sturdy it holds. The tape around the servo idea sounds good too, as I could use an adhesive and be assured that I could peel it off the servo later.

Regards,

MB

Reply to
MonkeyBoy