A newbie question

My first RC plane is a 3 channel carbon fiber and ripstop slow flyer. Between it and RF G-3.5, it is still flyable after 15+ flights and I can usually land it where I intend. Great fun!

Now, I'm thinking about my second model, which I want to have ailerons. I'm looking at a park flyer - specifically, the Wasp

It can be built as a 3 channel with dihedral or a straight winged 4 channel plane with ailerons. What would happen if I built it with both?

TIA, Randy

Reply to
<rmaheuxr

The dihedral has two main functions:

1: Roll stability. When the plane rolls to the right, the right wing effectively becomes slightly longer, and the left one slightly shorter, causing a lift difference that opposes the initial movement.

2: Allow the rudder to cause roll. When you apply right rudder, the left wing is pointed slightly forwards and the right one slightly backwards. As a result, the left wing will have a slightly larger angle of attack, and produce more lift, rolling the plane to the right.

If you build both dihedral and ailerons, your ailerons would be less effective and your rudder would cause the plane to roll. An expert pilot would say it flies like a dog. For a total newbie, this setup might not be all bad, but since you can handle your 3-channel with reasonable confidence, I recommend going for zero dihedral. You can fly it just fine using aileron and elevator only (forget about the rudder at first, except on the ground), and it will be much more fun to fly when the ailerons work the way they should.

Reply to
Robert Roland

Wot he said..plus. The most noticeable thing moving from 3 channel dihedralled plane to a dihedral-less plane with ailerons, is that the plane is much more neutral. Put it in a bank, and it will stay there. It requires opposite aileron to correct. taking mitts off sticks wont have it magically right itself.

This is why many advanced trainers leave a little in..so you get used to using the ailerons, but the plane at least won't tighten in a turn.. Going from a stable to a neutrally table plane, is quite a big step for a beginner.

For reference, high wing plane needs about 5 degrees to be self righting, and 2-3 degrees to ensure a ban won't steepen.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher