wiring a repeat timer & 2-way solenoid valve for espresso machine

OK, all the parts are in one place & I'm ready to have a go. I have a Red Hat 2-way solenoid valve (120/60), an NCC solid state repeat timer (CKK-10-462 - 24VDC - .1-10 second intervals), a 24 volt power source, & an abundant supply of 18, 16, & 14 gage wire.

The subject pretty much says it all: HELP: wiring a repeat timer & 2-way solenoid valve for espresso machine. The NCC timer I bought came without installation instructions & I've gotten no response from tech support at NCC. If anyone has a wiring diagram for me it would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
Robert Harmon

Here's a link to what I've got so far:

Robert

Reply to
Robert Harmon

did you try google or the mfr website

operator jay

If your schematic is the right one for your timer, then connect your 24V to terminals 2, and 7. With voltage applied to those terminals, your timing cycle should begin. (I say should begin, because this type of timer often has a set of terminals for a trigger in place of one of the contact sets.) My NCC timers all have a schematic of their internals printed on the side, so if yours looks like the schematic you have posted, then we'll proceed from there. Connect your white / neutral wire of your 120V ckt. to one lead of the solenoid. Connect the "hot" side of the 120 volt ckt to terminal 1 of your timing relay. Connect the "other" lead on the solenoid to terminal 4 on the timing relay. That is all there is to it. I don't know what your power sources are for the two voltages, but you may want to fuse the wiring between the sources and the relay. Give us a bit more info on the supply and if it isn't already appropriately fused you probably want to do that. Use two different color sets on your wire to keep the visual identity of the two voltages separated. By the way, do not make that connection between terminal one and two that is shown on your wiring diagram. That won't work with two different voltages.

FYI: Your relay has the most common layout of an octal relay. The basic function of the terminals is that terminals 2 and 7 operate the coil, (and in your case the timing circuit for the coil). The coil operates two "form C" switches, which operate between terminals 1, 3, and 4 for one set, and between 8, 5 and 6 for the second set. As your schematic shows, terminal one is the common terminal, and is open to terminal 3 when the relay is not energized, and closed to terminal 4. When the relay is energized, 1 connects with 3 and disconnects from 4. Your relay alternates between these states while it is energized.The other set operates at the same time, but you won't be using it. If for any reason you want the load to be on while the relay is de-energized, and to alternate off then on when energized, then move your wire from terminal 3 to terminal 4.

Reply to
Long Ranger

Yeah, I tried Google searches like yours, but they only lead to the spec sheet & not the manual.

Thanks anyway!

Reply to
Robert Harmon

See, that's what I love about Usenet - folks are always there to lend a helping hand! I admit I slept through the electronics course prerequisites during my underclass years at A&M. You are the best!

They tried to learn me good, but I was too stupid.

Reply to
Robert Harmon

Pardon the ASCII art - it keeps me from having to attach binaries.

------------------------ Connect your white / neutral wire of your 120V ckt. to one lead of the solenoid.

Connect the "hot" side of the 120 volt ckt to terminal 1 of your timing relay.

Connect the "other" lead on the solenoid to terminal 4 on the timing relay.

That is all there is to it.

------------------------ OK, so what I have is this;

neutral/white line-in lead 'a' connects to solenoid lead 'c'

hot/black line-in lead 'b' connects to pin '1'

solenoid lead 'd' connects to pin '4'

line-in leads 'e' & 'f' connects to pins '2' & '7'

Is that all? If so then as usual I over-thought this.

------------------------

line-in 120VAC solenoid Red-Hat 2-way valve 120/60 6.5 watts line-in

24VDC | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | a b c d e f

NCC solid state timer CKK-10-462 24VDC

  • * 4 5 * 3 6 *

  • 2 7 *

1 8 * *

Reply to
Robert Harmon

Your description sounds correct.

Here's a different diagram - your diagram below appears scrambled, so this one might be better.

+-------[Solenoid]--------+ | | | | | *4 5* | | | +---*3 6* | | +24VDC----*2 7*---Gnd | | 120VAC Line --------*1 8* | | 120VAC Neutral -----------------------+

Gnd is the negative side of the 24VDC supply. There should be switch and a fuse in the 120VAC line.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr