xmas gift for 11 yr old

I am looking at the SKYFLY & the VENTURA as a gift for Xmas for an 11 yr old. He has been using the MS Flight Simulator and would like to try an rc. Any opinions or suggests on these flyers or maybe another?

Thank You, Bo

Reply to
Brewbo

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 01:38:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote in :

I can't rate either one.

You might try to find a local club in your area and see if someone can help you with the first flights of whatever you choose. There are some tricks involved with learning RC that can take several crashes to learn by oneself.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Either should be a good first electric R/C airplane. I would vote for the Ventura as the fuselage should prove more durable than the Skyfly's "stick-and-pod" design, but the brighter color scheme and landing gear on the Skyfly might make it more appealing to an 11-year old.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

Thanks for the quick response. I just saw the SKY PILOT....but not able to find a review. Which would be better for us?

Bob

Reply to
Bo

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:53:05 GMT, "Bo" wrote in :

It's very pretty--something that would probably make your son dream about being a pilot.

It only gets 2.5 props at this review site (click on tabs to see details and reviews; you'll have to register, but it's free):

Plastic models that look like real planes (as this one does) often are not as easy to fly as the strange "park fliers" designed for beginners. The things that make them look strange help them to fly better (lighter weight, more dihedral, good wing planform for slow flight, etc.).

If you're going to teach yourselves to fly, the uglier models are likely to be better for you.

If you're going to find a local club and/or get some help from some other park fliers, then you might be able to succeed with the Sky Pilot.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:53:05 GMT, "Bo" wrote in :

Another web forum, a report from a self-teaching pilot:

I think I "helped" someone with one of these last summer or the summer before. "We" broke the prop on the first flight (the owners girlfriend wanted to fly it).

Whatever you decide on, buy some extra props for Christmas day. They'll come in handy sooner or later. I think we lost the spinner in the crash, too.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ