Yet another "Which charger?" post...

Ok, I know this has been beat to death, but I'm still a bit
confused... I've been out of the hobby for well over 10 years and
coming back into it over the past few months I'm overwhelmed by the
new technology, especially where electric power is concerned.. After
reading multiple threads here and over at RC Universe and perusing
countless manufacturer and shop web sites I'm still not sure what's
really out there.
I'm looking for a new charger that will charge, NiCd, NiMH, Li-Ion,
Li-Po and sealed lead acid batteries if possible. Input power at 110v
AC and 12v DC if possible,
The Accu Cycle has caught my eye as it appears to charge all but the
SLA stuff and has both AC and DC pwoer inputs.
The Triton and Multiplex LN-5014 also look good, but only come with
12V DC input...
Any chargers out there that will accomodate my "needs" without
requiring me to take a 2nd mortgage on the house? :)
Thx!
Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego
If you want the option of AC/DC why not go to:
and do a search for the Pyramid PS9KX power supply. It's $20 plus about $12 shipping. I ordered one because another guy in the group pointed one out (from a different vendor) and Red indicated it would work with the chargers I was interested in. I thought it was a good idea. Its a nice unit and gives you the option of using banana plugs or the built in cigarette lighter socket.
H Davis
"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
Reply to
H Davis
The OTHER Kevin-
As you have found through your research, most chargers come set up for 12 VDC only. Rather than fight it, get either a cheap 12V SLA and trickle charger and charge you model batteries from that, or a bench power supply from Rat Shack, et al. Else you're limiting yourself to something mediocre just becase it has a built-in AC supply. Secondly I would urge to get a dedicated charger for LiPo, for protection of the expensive batteries from setup error, and possibly a fire danger as well. The RipMax Quattro (also sold under Graupner label, Helmut at Dymond may have it) does 1-4 cell packs at rates up to 3A, and automatically sets charge current as well as cell count. Leaves little room for potentially costly brain farts, and will set you back a piddling $25 at the Hobby People outlet near you. As for charging all other types, The Triton and Multiplex units you mentioned are both as good as you'll get at a reasonable price. If you want your charger to have BMW bling, look to the German products by Orbit and Shulze - and get that 2nd mortgage.
Abel
Reply to
Abel Pranger
I'm that other guy... I got my Pyramid power supply and it works great!
Now I need some tips on how to make a simple, safe and effective terminal block for it so I can attach both my chargers easily (one has medium-large alligator clips and the other has larger clamps).
Any ideas?
Good flying, desmobob
Reply to
Robert Scott
Better get a power supply and use a 12V charger on that. If you get a big enough power supply, you can hook up more than one 12V charger.
I've bought a Ginzel Spectra II two years ago because I wanted to buy a charger that does it all, so I would never have to buy another charger again. So I've spent 200 Euros on a used one. Some weeks ago I've bought a Multiplex LN-5014 for 60 Euros. In comparision, the Ginzel simply is too sophisticated and I don't charge 32 cells in a block anyways. I've even written my own software for MacOS to evaluate the charging data and to watch the chargers status over the web ;-) The Multiplex charger just does the job without any bells and whistles and it's way smaller.
So it would have been wiser to just buy 3 of the Mulitplex chargers for the same price...
Reply to
Peter Stegemann
Hallo Peter: Where did you get the Multiplex LN-5014 for so little kohle ?
mfg
-- indoruwe ----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile:
this thread:
indoruwet
| Now I need some tips on how to make a simple, safe and effective terminal | block for it so I can attach both my chargers easily (one has medium-large | alligator clips and the other has larger clamps). | | Any ideas?
Sure -- cut off the clips/clamps from one or both, and replace them with whatever method you deem fit.
Really, the only reason not to do this would be to not invalidate your warranty, but most vendors aren't going to be that anal about things -- you're expected to do stuff like that.
Personally, I'd suggest cutting the clips off and putting in a pair of sermos or deans connectors in between. That way, you can use the clips if you want, or something else you've rigged with the connectors if you wish.
Reply to
Doug McLaren
I did some calling around to day and spoke to a couple LHS's about chargers. Both LHS's reiterated what you said about the Triton and Multiplex.. The 12VDC input isn't a show stopper by any means and finding a 12VDC power supply with adequate amperage isn't an issue.. I think I'm going to order up the Triton from Tower as they're offering a free temp probe with it.. I can cobble up a small PC power supply to run it until I can find a decent regulated unit.
I'll check out the RipMax unit this weekend when I go look at the gear to convert my PT-20 to electric for my son... (Which is the subject of more research...)
Thx!
Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego
I can't take any credit, Harlan. I posted to the group about finding a cheap power supply for my chargers and Red Scholefield gave me a link to a supplier of Pyramid units. You'll have to thank Red! :-)
Good flying, desmobob
Reply to
Robert Scott
If I didn't already own several old, pre-switching technology, large capacity 12 volt supplies for ham radios, I would do the computer conversion trick myself. I have two or three computer power supplies available for conversion. Although, I should probably keep them stock, since I own several old computers that I still use on occasion.
After a lot of reading and some analysis, I placed an order for a Multiplex 5014 this morning. There may be better available, but in the day and a half that I studied the topic, I couldn't find anything significantly better.
The Horizon unit was interesting. I'll probably need a second charger soon, so I may consider the Horizon unit for that purchase.
Ed Cregger
Reply to
Ed Cregger
I converted all my chargers to use banana plugs rather than the alligator clips. Even converted the alligator clips so I could use a banana plug on them if necessary (It hasn't been yet).
Now make a small box with as many as you need banana jacks, 3 pairs at least, and connect that to your power supply with a short lead terminated in banana plugs. You can connect 3 devices at once now to the power supply. Make a cigarette lighter adapter by soldering 7/8" pieces of 3/16 OD brass tubing to short leads from the lighter plug, insulate with heat shrink. This enables you to use your charger in the field simply by plugging into the utility (cigarette) lighter socket in your vehicle. We these set ups you can cover just about all situations.
I made a small panel that fastened under a shelf on my charging bench. This panel has six pairs of banana jacks wired to a modified PC Power Supply mounted under the front edge of the bench.
Reply to
Red Scholefield
Ed, Let us know how you like the Multiplex LN5014. I have recommended them to a number of people, so far none are unhappy. It just seems like a lot of charger for the money, particularly with the name Multiplex. I have noted they run quite hot, but that's the only thing I can find. I added a switch to mine - there is just enough room in the upper right hand corner to tuck a small toggle switch. This way I can leave it plugged in to the 12 volt buss on the work bench and just turn it on when I need it. Never liked the alligator clip connections. Replaced all mine with banana plugs. Made banana plug jacks on the Alligator clips using 3/16 OD brass tubing soldered on to the clip.
Reply to
Red Scholefield
This sounds like the best solution. Trouble is, I lug a small automotive battery to the field to use for charging and starting. I attached a couple of doo-dads to the terminal sockets so I could attach my electric model engine starter and battery chargers --all have clamps or alligator clips.
I think I'll make up a small square plywood or plastic plate with a pair of bolts for contact lugs, divided by a piece of ply or plastic for shorting safety. I'll put banana plugs on it to attach it to the power supply. I'll plug it into my power supply at home and I can clamp my chargers to the bolts.
Thanks again for your help, desmobob
Reply to
Robert Scott
Sent them to you back channel.
Red S.
"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
Reply to
Red Scholefield
I use a lawn tractor battery for electric and slope flying. I mounted it in the bottom of a rolling plastic stacking toolbox that I purchased an OSH. Added banana plug sockets to the face of the bottom section of the box. The top section has room for chargers, the BW tv I use for wireless video, the video rx's, etc. Also has a tray in the top for all the various leads, plugs, adapters, you name it. I just plug my Battery Tender into the jacks on the front at home to recharge the tractor batt.
Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Site Timeline