Yet another "Which charger?" post...

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 21:29:35 -0800, The OTHER Kevin in San Diego <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote:

The OTHER Kevin-
As you have found through your research, most chargers come set up for 12 VDC only. Rather than fight it, get either a cheap 12V SLA and trickle charger and charge you model batteries from that, or a bench power supply from Rat Shack, et al. Else you're limiting yourself to something mediocre just becase it has a built-in AC supply. Secondly I would urge to get a dedicated charger for LiPo, for protection of the expensive batteries from setup error, and possibly a fire danger as well. The RipMax Quattro (also sold under Graupner label, Helmut at Dymond may have it) does 1-4 cell packs at rates up to 3A, and automatically sets charge current as well as cell count. Leaves little room for potentially costly brain farts, and will set you back a piddling $25 at the Hobby People outlet near you. As for charging all other types, The Triton and Multiplex units you mentioned are both as good as you'll get at a reasonable price. If you want your charger to have BMW bling, look to the German products by Orbit and Shulze - and get that 2nd mortgage.
Abel
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:19:11 -0800, Abel Pranger

I did some calling around to day and spoke to a couple LHS's about chargers. Both LHS's reiterated what you said about the Triton and Multiplex.. The 12VDC input isn't a show stopper by any means and finding a 12VDC power supply with adequate amperage isn't an issue.. I think I'm going to order up the Triton from Tower as they're offering a free temp probe with it.. I can cobble up a small PC power supply to run it until I can find a decent regulated unit.
I'll check out the RipMax unit this weekend when I go look at the gear to convert my PT-20 to electric for my son... (Which is the subject of more research...)
Thx!
On 2005-11-10 06:29:35 +0100, The OTHER Kevin in San Diego <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> said:

Better get a power supply and use a 12V charger on that. If you get a big enough power supply, you can hook up more than one 12V charger.

I've bought a Ginzel Spectra II two years ago because I wanted to buy a charger that does it all, so I would never have to buy another charger again. So I've spent 200 Euros on a used one. Some weeks ago I've bought a Multiplex LN-5014 for 60 Euros. In comparision, the Ginzel simply is too sophisticated and I don't charge 32 cells in a block anyways. I've even written my own software for MacOS to evaluate the charging data and to watch the chargers status over the web ;-) The Multiplex charger just does the job without any bells and whistles and it's way smaller.
So it would have been wiser to just buy 3 of the Mulitplex chargers for the same price...
--
Hubba Balu...

Peter Stegemann Wrote:

Hallo Peter: Where did you get the Multiplex LN-5014 for so little kohle ?
mfg
-- indoruwe ----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u891 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?tC936

I've got it from http://www.hobbydirekt.de
The delivery took around 10 days, but the shop is o.k. and the offer is great.
--
Es ist nur der ein Superheld, der sich selbst fuer super haelt.

Peter Stegemann Wrote:

Merci vielmals
-- indoruwe ----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u891 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?tC936
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT wrote:

If you can get past the mains requirement - as others have said, a small 12v SLA battery with a trickle charger is a great, flexible solution, I'd suggest this:
http://aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id575
US$84, small, simple interface, charges everything - up to 14 cells or 5s LiPo, does charge/discharge cycling and pretty damn cheap.
In Australia they've been sold for the past few years branded as "Swallow" I've had 2 (one got stolen) and have never regretted it. Someone said they're available in the US, but I'm not sure what they call it there.

That's the same as the Multiplex LN-5014 :-)
--
Es ist nur der ein Superheld, der sich selbst fuer super haelt.

Peter Stegemann wrote:

Well what do you know? I've got to say the Multiplex panel graphics are nicer than the other 2 versions, although still a little too busy for my liking.