Zenoah G-23 Help

A little help, guys, please.

Zenoah G-23: won't turn up over half throttle (4,500RPM). Idles reasonably well, transitions nicely (until that 4,500RPM peak).

Regular gas w/ Amsoil at 85:1 (1.5 oz./gal.). 20-6 prop. Medium fuel tubing, gas tank (sintered bronze pickup) and gas line (CubroFinal Filter) filters. Dubro fuel filler inline.

Carb and fuel lines taken completely apart and blown out.

I've heard that it's either not broken in yet or I'm running too large of a prop. Let's hear some opinions. I'd really like to run a 20" prop. Is there any way to make it work? Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Zenoah G-23: won't turn up over half throttle (4,500RPM). Idles reasonably well, transitions nicely (until that 4,500RPM peak).

Regular gas w/ Amsoil at 85:1 (1.5 oz./gal.). 20-6 prop. Medium fuel tubing, gas tank (sintered bronze pickup) and gas line (CubroFinal Filter) filters. Dubro fuel filler inline.

Carb and fuel lines taken completely apart and blown out.

I've heard that it's either not broken in yet or I'm running too large of a prop. Let's hear some opinions. I'd really like to run a 20" prop. Is there any way to make it work? Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!" ========================

I'm no expert, but did a little digging.

Based on what Horizon writes about the G-26, the prop you have is way too big: Spins up to a staggering 8900 rpm on an APC 16 X 8 prop Outperforms the G23 by 800 rpm and at only an extra 2 ounces

According to ThrustHP, a 20 x 6 puts almost double the load on the engine compared to a 16 x 8, so the RPM you're getting doesn't seem unusual. You'd need a 20 x 3.275 prop to put a load on the engine similar to the 16 x 8.

Carrell

Reply to
Carrell

For a start I would get rid of the in-line fuel filter and Dubro inline filler... The carb has an inbuilt mesh filter... Try the engine on a 17x8 or

18x6 and if it's a new engine stick to the running in instructions regarding oil ratio. Don't forget that the engine will increase in power during it's first few (quite a few) hours in the air.

Want to turn a 20 inch prop at sensible revs... buy the 26...

-- Philip Rawson

Philip Rawson

Oh, yes... shouldn't you be using a felt clunk? never come across a sintered bronze one.. do they prevent bubbles in the fuel line in the same way?

-- Philip Rawson

Philip Rawson

Phillip, I don't think so. There is a bunch that claims to have problems with the felt clunk comming apart; I still run them.

Too big a prop!

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Sintered bronze filters are something I'm VERY aquainted with. I used to work at a plant that made them. They are good for filtering either liquid or air, and are sturdy and easy to clean. It's a sintered bronze filter/clunk. I don't remember who makes them. Maybe Dubro? Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

I agree. I'm running an APC 16 x 8 on my G-23 and it spins about 8200 RPM. I've run about five gallons and it's seems to be getting stronger. I switched to Amsoil 100/1 recently, resulting in much less black residue from the exhaust. The more I run the G-23, the more I like it.

Alan Harriman

Reply to
Alan Harriman

WAY too big a prop! the G23 likes a 16x8!

Reply to
jeboba

Yeah, Dubro. My LHS guy never heard of them! Now THAT blew me away!.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Yeah, Dubro. My LHS guy never heard of them! Now THAT blew me away!. ===============================================

Here's a link with a photo

Carrell

Thanks, I knew that but had to explain it. This guys flys 30%+ birds and many recognize him as being the "expert" on things. HA!

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Been using them for over 20 years. good filters. Yep, Dubro

filter/clunk.

Reply to
jeboba