Area - millimeters to meters????

Ok I know it's just simple maths and I shouldn't be lazy but......... is it possible for Autocad to calulate area in meters if the drawing unit is set to millimeters?

Reply to
Monty

I know you only have to shift the decimal point (I didn't mean to sound so darm oops dumb) I just want to know if Autocad can do it.

Reply to
Monty

AutoCAD reports the area in the units you are using, it doesn't know or care what those units are. If you say the units are millimeters, then that's the area you get, it you say the units are miles, then that's the area you get, etc., etc. You just need to write a small macro to convert the square millimeters that AutoCAD reports into square meters.

Reply to
Smackypete

If the drawing has been done with millimetres as the drawing unit then the answer will be in square millimetres. To get the answer in metres, you would have to scale the drawing down by 1000 so that it was drawn in metres. AutoCAD only understands drawing units. The only exception is that if you enter a distance with an apostrophe, then AutoCAD guesses it is feet and multiplies the number by 12.

Reply to
Ian A. White

I have the same problem. I've always worked in metres and now I've been detached to a place where they work in milimetres, but for measurements they need metres and square metres. Sometimes even in acres.

I think they only way to deal with is to write a lisp routine that divides the result by 1000 or 1000 000.

Reply to
Ugly Prince