How to assign an "identity" to an item?

The specific question: using Autocad 2000, how can an "identity"
(handle/label/name/ID) be associated with a rectangle (or line) such
that it shows up in a DXF export?
More info: I am not an Autocad user. I need to know the X & Y
coordinates of hundreds of rectangles and lines in some drawings
created by a co-worker. I've studied the DXF file format and have
figured out how to extract the info I need (using a little Visual
Basic program). But, it's difficult for me to know exactly WHICH line
or rectangle I'm working with. If the drafter could assign an
pre-determined identity to each one (in the drawing), then I could
extract that also and proceed with what I need to do.
I see that each "entity" in the DXF file has a "handle". But it
appears that Autocad assigns this value. I need something that can be
assigned as a known value (like "ABC123").
Any suggestions?
Reply to
Martin
HiHo; XDATA will do that and more.