Is formal drafting training necessary 4 career

Is it realistic to think that I could get a drafting job after completing a certificate program in Autocad but without any formal
Drafting training such as at a associates degree from a tech school or community college? (I have a BA in physics) If not, would passing the ADDA drafting test (by self study) get me a job, or would I still need formal training. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
it's all in who you know,,, if it is no one, you will not get a job with out a lot of luck

I'm 19 turning 20 in less than 3 months. I've had basic CAD training in highschool but that was about it... I've spent the last year working at a civil engineering firm as a drafter, and previously I worked at an architecture firm as a drafter.
I'm not sure about where you live, but here there's quite a few positions out for drafters and such, and as long as you demonstrate the skill and ability you're pretty much guaranteed a job.
HTH
lilmissgiggles

Where are you located, giggles? I've been looking for work the last 4 months and have yet to get a call. I'm in Pittsburgh and not having a bit of luck. I am willing to relocate.

Toronto, Ontario

Hey neighbor, me too.
The American economy has been trailing behind ours for some time now, so things aren't quite as bright there as here. Here, for the right money, almost anybody could get a job drafting. Experienced or not.
BTW is that a typo in your return email, or a "double-entendre"?
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.com

school
right now is a pretty shitty time to look though (or at least in the civil engineering field), our office is pretty quiet these days, hopefully as the weather gets better things will pickup....

It seems bad all over right now. And according my contacts things aren't looking promising. No matter how much experience you have it's tough.

or
the
need

It really depends upon what field you're in. The bulk of my work is residential and things have been going great for a number of years and the next 5+ years also are expected to be very strong.
Even when things are bad there's still work, you just have to be able to differentiate yourself so that when the work load is low you're the one who gets it.
Michael (LS)
Michael (LS) wrote:

Well said, Michael. I'm in the civil field, in the Pittsburgh area, and I'm actually considering going out on my own. I have a few nice things lined up, but I'd have to leave my current full-time job to take them on. Civil firms in this area can't find good CAD operators. Some are even paying the shitty ones pretty damn good money for lack of anyone else.
YeaRuss wrote:

FWIW.........I'm doing some 'consulting' for a small firm downtown. There are jobs out there, but they're not going to come to you.
Have you called companys like CEC, LSSE, the numerous architectural firms, or others around town? I know a few other firms who apparently don't have any good CAD people (they'll remain nameless out of respect for them....lol).
There are some firms throught Beaver/Butler County areas, too. I'm sure Washington County has a few as well.
Email me directly with a little background info about yourself. We have a guy leaving (going to another firm) next week. We're not planning on hiring right away, but if things pick up, we'll have no choice. I don't need a resume at this point, but let me know your general background info, particularly your work history.
lilmissgiggles wrote:

Sounds like a familiar story. ;)
You're absolutely right. Most 'CAD techs' don't put too much effort into being good at what they do, so with a little effort, you can be a 'good one'. With alot of effort, in a few years, you can make a respectable living at it.
Just my $0.02 as a non-trained CAD guy........doing ok, for myself.
It depends on you local market conditions. There are places where you could get a job with those qualifications.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.com

same way architects don't understand how cabinetry is made.
;)

Some don't. You can't be an expert at everything. The smart man realizes this and also realizes that a lot of time and expense can be saved by consulting an expert in the particular field he is dealing with.

Thanks, CW. I was going to say that. A architectural school chum of mine makes his living making pretty nice cabinetry, and has nine fingers to prove it...
His site's at http://www.objectsandspaces.ca /
I don't have his skill, but I have a made a few simple cabinets. That makes me a little unusual among my peers, I'll admit, but I'm tired of these kinds of broad swipes at my profession.....What percentage of draftsmen know how cabinetry is made?
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.com