Is formal drafting training necessary 4 career

Sounds like a familiar story. ;)

You're absolutely right. Most 'CAD techs' don't put too much effort into being good at what they do, so with a little effort, you can be a 'good one'. With alot of effort, in a few years, you can make a respectable living at it.

Just my $0.02 as a non-trained CAD guy........doing ok, for myself.

Reply to
TomD

FWIW.........I'm doing some 'consulting' for a small firm downtown. There are jobs out there, but they're not going to come to you.

Have you called companys like CEC, LSSE, the numerous architectural firms, or others around town? I know a few other firms who apparently don't have any good CAD people (they'll remain nameless out of respect for them....lol).

There are some firms throught Beaver/Butler County areas, too. I'm sure Washington County has a few as well.

Email me directly with a little background info about yourself. We have a guy leaving (going to another firm) next week. We're not planning on hiring right away, but if things pick up, we'll have no choice. I don't need a resume at this point, but let me know your general background info, particularly your work history.

Reply to
TomD

Well said, Michael. I'm in the civil field, in the Pittsburgh area, and I'm actually considering going out on my own. I have a few nice things lined up, but I'd have to leave my current full-time job to take them on. Civil firms in this area can't find good CAD operators. Some are even paying the shitty ones pretty damn good money for lack of anyone else.

Reply to
TomD