Busted drafting machine!

--Hey has anyone ever worked on a Mutoh drafting machine? The head on mine won't lock down any more; I suspect reducded tension in the 'forearm' band but can't figure out how to tighten it..

Reply to
steamer

Those'r a snap to fix.

Step one: Buy a copy of Rhino.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Aha -- a bit more detail. I went Googling for the machines last night to see if I could determine enough about how they were made -- but the photos all had too little detail.

I don't know the Mutoh drafting machines (only seen them in Google work last night), but my BoardMaster has the band tension adjusted by nuts threaded onto one half-arm and pressing against a bushing around the other (unthreaded) half-arm. Obviously, you need to adjust the nuts in both half-arms the same amount or the arm takes a bend. Check whether yours has the same technique. I've seen some (K&E IIRC) which had only a single central adjustable length arm, and just a pair of plastic covers over the bands between the two hubs to keep them clear of the draftsman's sleeves. The BoardMaster ran the bands through the hollow tubes of both sides -- no center bar -- a better design in my opinion.

I got mine from a surplus closeoout at a previous employer, and the bushing was missing, and the band had broken at the very end where the hole fits a clip on the opposite end of the band. There was sufficient adjustment so I was able to punch a new hole and make up for the loss in the range of adjustment of the nuts.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 10:05:37 -0800, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

As Jerry Maguire so eloquently said "SHOW ME THE MONEY!"

-- Latin: It's not just for geniuses any more.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

Watch your inbox, wise guy!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Did you try to re-boot it?

Reply to
Stupendous Man

What's the model, or can you post a pic of it or something close?

I still have one I could take a look at if that somehow helps.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

--Not sure but I suspect they're all pretty much the same. I've taken it apart from the top down, to where I've gotta get a 3/4" socket on the big nut that holds the protractor assembly against the internal bearing. I've already disassembled the bottom, where the spring detent mechanism is located and all looks correct there; a little wear but nothing significant. I'm thinking, though, that the symptoms indicate something is wrong with the band tension on the 'forearm': the tightening bar turns freely, as if not threaded. Hope to tear into that section as soon as I can figure out how to get access.

Reply to
steamer

If/when I get home this weekend, Ill check my Mutohs. Ive got about 12 or so various drafting machines that Ive picked up over the last couple years. Scales..now those can be a problem to find...sigh

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Do you have any spare scale?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 20:38:03 -0800, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Well, I'm watching. Didja fergit?

-- Latin: It's not just for geniuses any more.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

I jus sent it again. Watch for Subject = "Is Jerry Around?"

--Winnie

Reply to
Winston

Okay, I just sent it for the third time! I used the address that was successful previously, rather than your 'reply to' address.

Fingers, Toes and Eyes Crossed

--Winnie

Reply to
Winston

Reply to
Denis G.

Unfortunately no. About half of those machines, Mutoh, Vemco etc etc all need scales. Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

If/when I get home this weekend, Ill check my Mutohs. Ive got about 12 or so various drafting machines that Ive picked up over the last couple years. Scales..now those can be a problem to find...sigh

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I've got the non-parallel variety; i.e. the one with two arms connected with a sort of 'watt parallel motion' mechanism, if you know what I mean. Sorta like this one:

steamer

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 14:57:36 -0800, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Got it, 3 times. You delayed 'em on purpose, dincha?

-- Latin: It's not just for geniuses any more.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Naaaah.

First two were to your 'reply to' address. They apparently got stuck in the pipe for a few hours. Last one was to the address on your website. It went through normally. (Skinnier bits?)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

And most of them use the same dovetailed wedge mounting Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller