Lisp Question - ssget

Unfortunately ssget doesn't support initget, I wish it did. Maybe it does in AutoCAD 2006.

When ssget is active, it will accept various letter inputs that define the selection mode. Most of the letter functions I know, but there are two letters that I cannot establish the purpose of:

A - ? C - Crossing F - Fence G - Group L - Last M - ? P - Previous R - Remove U - Undo W - Window

'A' doesn't appear to do anything (it doesn't select All, for example). 'M' seems to put ssget into some strange single-pick mode where the selected items are not highlighted until is pressed.

There are also various two letter combinations (e.g. CP, WP, etc.) that are accepted by ssget. All other letters throw up an *Invalid selection* error message.

Does anyone know the function of 'A' and 'M' when used with ssget?

Reply to
mlv

(ssget [sel-method] [pt1 [pt2]] [pt-list] [filter-list])Selection sets can contain objects from both paper and model space, but when the selection set is used in an operation, ssget filters out objects from the space not currently in effect. Selection sets returned by ssget contain main entities only (no attributes or polyline vertices).

Arguments

sel-method

A string that specifies the object selection method. Valid selection methods are

C Crossing selection.

CP Cpolygon selection (all objects crossing and inside of the specified polygon).

F Fence selection.

I Implied selection (objects selected while PICKFIRST is in effect).

L Last visible object added to the database.

P Last selection set created.

W Window selection.

WP WPolygon (all objects within the specified polygon).

X Entire database. If you specify the X selection method and do not provide a filter-list, ssget selects all entities in the database, including entities on layers that are off, frozen, and out of the visible screen.

:E Everything within the cursor's object selection pickbox.

:N Call ssnamex for additional information on container blocks and transformation matrices for any entities selected during the ssget operation. This additional information is available only for entities selected via graphical selection methods such as Window, Crossing, and point picks.

Unlike the other object selection methods, :N may return multiple entities with the same entity name in the selection set. For example, if the user selects a subentity of a complex entity such as a BlockReference, PolygonMesh, or old style polyline, ssget looks at the subentity that is selected when determining if it has already been selected. However, ssget actually adds the main entity (BlockReference, PolygonMesh, and so on) to the selection set. The result could be multiple entries with the same entity name in the selection set (each will have different subentity information for ssnamex to report).

:S Allow single selection only.

pt1

A point relative to the selection.

pt2

A point relative to the selection.

pt-list

A list of points.

filter-list

An association list that specifies object properties. Objects that match the filter-list are added to the selection set.

If you omit all arguments, ssget prompts the user with the Select Objects prompt, allowing interactive construction of a selection set.

If you supply a point but do not specify an object selection method, AutoCAD assumes the user is selecting an object by picking a single point.

Return Values

The name of the created selection set if successful; otherwise nil if no objects were selected.

Reply to
Chip Harper

Thanks for the info.

My question relates to interactive construction of a selection set using ssget.

If you simply enter

(setq ss (ssget))

at the command prompt, and then proceed to construct a selection set by picking entities on screen, then certain arguments (C, W, L, P, etc) set up particular selection modes (Crossing, Window, Last, Previous, etc).

Both A and M are accepted by ssget as a valid argument, but what is their effect? What selection mode/option do they set up? I can't see what they do and I can't find reference to either A or M in the help files.

Reply to
mlv

Input an invalid character and you will get the list of the supported letters and their descriptions...... Command: (ssget)

Select objects: z

*Invalid selection* Expects a point or Window/Last/Crossing/BOX..............etc.

Reply to
Jeff