Lisp that will search for criteria in closed drawings?

I want to be able to search for a certain criteria in drawings that are not opened. Basically have many files in my acad directory relating to
different plate thickness and contract numbers. My file numbering system goes by "contract number" "n" "nest number" eg. 250n25. Each drawing has a text in the corner showing the pale thickness. When I look at any one file number, I have no way to tell what plate thickness I used on that drawing, unless I actually open the drawing. I wonder if there is a away to check for a certain criteria (plate thickness) for drawings that are closed. Often I am searching for all the files relating to a certain plate thickness and contract number, so I have to open as many as 20 files to verify the plate thickness. Sounds complicated does it not? As far as I can tell that is not possible to do with a list, if the drawing is closed.
p.s. I don't want to change the numbering system for naming my AutoCAD files, other wise I could have included the plate thickness as part of file name system.
HiHo; Use a script to open each drawing, then run the lisp, In the same script, that checks for text is the corner or each drawing. If you have a problem with scripts, there are ScriptMakers on the web. I use one from "Gibb & Pilcher" that will create a list of drawing and/or full path names. Then add some lisp or "commands" to do the work on hundreds of drawings.

not
look
on
are
drawing
file

There is at least one program that opens AutoCAD drawings and reads their contents into databases. There you can search the text entities and find the text that is at the right X-Y location. It's made to read and manipulate hundreds or even thousands of files at a time. May be overkill for what you want, but if you don't get an answer here, write to me.
Steven
--
Steven - snipped-for-privacy@houston.rrwax.com
remove wax for reply

It's not my program, but I have an arrangement with the developer. Please write to me off-list.
Steven
snipped-for-privacy@houston.rrwax.com remove wax for reply

Opps; I use "CADieu" to make my file list. Its a freebie also.

not
look
on
are
drawing
file
lbbs wrote:

Take a look at the Drawing Search functionality in ToolPac 7.0 from http://www.dotsoft.com . With an easy to use dialog
http://www.dotsoft.com/images/dwgsearch.gif you can quickly add which files to search (including subfolders) along with which fields to search. It uses the ObjectDBX functionality of AutoCAD 2000 or higher to quickly return the results, which can be opened in a click.
Terry
is there any software like it, that is free?

not
What I try to do at work is to add tidbits of information using the drawing properties tool in the file menu. any information in there becomes searchable using windows or autocad design center. could be helpful on future projects. b.d.

Yes, write it yourself.