Lisp that will search for criteria in closed drawings?

I want to be able to search for a certain criteria in drawings that are not opened. Basically have many files in my acad directory relating to different plate thickness and contract numbers. My file numbering system goes by "contract number" "n" "nest number" eg. 250n25. Each drawing has a text in the corner showing the pale thickness. When I look at any one file number, I have no way to tell what plate thickness I used on that drawing, unless I actually open the drawing. I wonder if there is a away to check for a certain criteria (plate thickness) for drawings that are closed. Often I am searching for all the files relating to a certain plate thickness and contract number, so I have to open as many as 20 files to verify the plate thickness. Sounds complicated does it not? As far as I can tell that is not possible to do with a list, if the drawing is closed.

p.s. I don't want to change the numbering system for naming my AutoCAD files, other wise I could have included the plate thickness as part of file name system.

Reply to
lbbs

HiHo; Use a script to open each drawing, then run the lisp, In the same script, that checks for text is the corner or each drawing. If you have a problem with scripts, there are ScriptMakers on the web. I use one from "Gibb & Pilcher" that will create a list of drawing and/or full path names. Then add some lisp or "commands" to do the work on hundreds of drawings.

Reply to
bestafor

There is at least one program that opens AutoCAD drawings and reads their contents into databases. There you can search the text entities and find the text that is at the right X-Y location. It's made to read and manipulate hundreds or even thousands of files at a time. May be overkill for what you want, but if you don't get an answer here, write to me.

Steven

Reply to
Steven (remove wax for reply)

Opps; I use "CADieu" to make my file list. Its a freebie also.

Reply to
bestafor

Reply to
lbbs

It's not my program, but I have an arrangement with the developer. Please write to me off-list.

Steven

snipped-for-privacy@houston.rrwax.com remove wax for reply

Reply to
Steven (remove wax for reply)

Take a look at the Drawing Search functionality in ToolPac 7.0 from

With an easy to use dialog
you can quickly add which files to search (including subfolders) along with which fields to search. It uses the ObjectDBX functionality of AutoCAD 2000 or higher to quickly return the results, which can be opened in a click.

Terry

Reply to
Terry W. Dotson

is there any software like it, that is free?

Reply to
lab

Yes, write it yourself.

Reply to
Smackypete

What I try to do at work is to add tidbits of information using the drawing properties tool in the file menu. any information in there becomes searchable using windows or autocad design center. could be helpful on future projects. b.d.

Reply to
Duff