Measuring Angles

ACAD LT 02

Hi, I know you can measure distances to a great accuracy by using the distance command but is there the same for measuring angles to a high decimal place?

Thanks Lee

Reply to
Lee Davison

The DIST command reports this between points, if the angular units are set to high precision. LIST will do it for a line. If you want the angle between things then an angular dimension is probably the way to go. The dimstyle has to have its units set to high accuracy as well in this latter case.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

You could jus use angular dimension and set the units to what ever decimal place you need. Maybe someone has written a lisp routine but that is the way I do it.

Reply to
uNkulunkulu

Same for me. Maybe if you're doing a lot of it you might want to write a routine. Personally, I never have an application that requires angular dimensions "to a high decimal place". Quite the contrary, if you submit a manufacturing drawing with an angular dimension of 26.0635° you can't be surprised when the invoice comes in with a lot of numbers on the other side of the decimal point.

Reply to
Greg Farris

: D Good one!

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

You answered a question that I and others had been trying to answer for a long time. Thank you!

Dick Alvarez alvarez at alumni dot caltech dot edu

Reply to
Dick Alvarez

Cool!

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Measuring the angle from which reference point?

HowFarLisp Gives the exact distance and the X and Y components between two points (PT1-PT2) in Decimal, Fractional, Engineering, Architectural and Metric. It also gives the ANGLE between the two points in Nearest degree, Decimal degree and degrees/minutes/seconds formats. While the dialog box displays the measurements & angle it allows the user to change the precision of each format from 0 to 8 places precision.

You can get it at:

AND ITS 100% FREEWARE

Reply to
uNkulunkulu

It measures the distance and the angle between PT1 and PT2. So if PT1 was 0,0 and PT2 was 2,2 it would give the following:

Distance between pt1 pt2 is 2.82842712 with an X=2.00000000 and Y=2.00000000 and an angle of 45.00000000deg if the user set the sliders at 8 place precision

PT1 and PT2 can be picked off the drawing just like you pick two points for the Acad distance command. It then gives you the distance and angle in a dialog box instead of at the command prompt and you can change the precision of each format and the angle display from 0 to 8 places precision.

You can get HowFarLisp at:

ITS 100% FREEWARE

HowFarLisp Gives the exact distance and the X and Y components between two points (PT1-PT2) in Decimal, Fractional, Engineering, Architectural and Metric. It also gives the ANGLE between the two points in Nearest degree, Decimal degree and degrees/minutes/seconds formats. While the dialog box displays the measurements & angle it allows the user to change the precision of each format from 0 to 8 places precision.

You can get it at:

AND ITS 100% FREEWARE

Reply to
medeziner

So you say from that the reference point is alway one or other of the x or y or z axis'. If you say that the only consideration are the 2 points then you can put a reference point any where in the drawing but each time you put this third reference point in a different place the angle beteween the two points the angle will change. If the only consideration is the 2 points then the angle has to be 180 degrees.

[...]

It seems to measure the angle between the line joining the two points and the direction of 'zero angle', as determined by your DDUNITS setting.

If, for example, I draw a line 100 units vertically downwards and then 100 units horizontally to the right, the angle given as 'between' the two ends of the lines is not 90 degrees but 135 degrees (or 315 degrees, depending on which end to select first), because my setting is with zero degrees being eastwards (along X axis) in the DDUNITS dialogue box.

I cannot, at the moment, see the advantage of such a measurement.

Reply to
Brian Salt