Re: Moving from Intelli to AutoCAD - please help

im thinking of switching from autocad to intellicad....do you think it pays of?

how good is intellicad? is it better than acad?

Reply to
stype

Try it, but when you first do you will probably hate it (like i did the first time). Menus are weird, "objects" are "entities" :) etc... Osnap sometime has a mind of his own and little things like that.

But if you spend some time tweaking it, it becomes perfect 2D drawing tool. For now the only two things i have found useful and better in AutoCAD is hatch editing (my old IntelliCAD doesn't support it, don't know for newer) and layer dropdown list (in IntelliCAD you have to open layer manager to change objects layer). It doesn't have object tracking. Everything else is the same or (for me) worse in AutoCAD.

This is very important. IntelliCAD supports AutoCAD *.mnu and *.pgp files so you can import them and have your AutoCAD look in one move on IntelliCAD. Removing some things that IntelliCAD doesn't have and adding some that AutoCAD doesn't have is necessary. You can also change toolbar icons. Much better and easier customizing in IntelliCAD. It supports lisp.

You can try 3D, but it supports only surfaces (again, my old version).

I wanted something that will do both 2D and 3D, and am now stuck doing

2D in IntelliCAD and 3D in AutoCAD, instead of just buying SolidWorks (or something like that) >:-|

Price = IntelliCAD ten times better

Pogotovo za nase prilike :)

Reply to
Imagine

Out of curiosity (and sorry for the off topic of Acad)... but does Intellicad happen to have something like DRCAuto's Xref Clip command? Rather handy to be able to clip Xrefs..

TIA

Bruce F

Reply to
Mr. B

Thanks!

DRCauto is a 3rd party add on for LT. We've been using it at work for several years now (LT2002) and it gives us 100% Lisp compatibility which we really need. So for about 1/4 the cost of a full Acad license, we get all we need.

But again, thanks for your info... I'll soon be striking out on my own and am looking at Icad for my use. So just checking out certain features that I really want/need.

Oh,,, and I'll start to watch the Icad NG too from now on.

Regards,

Bruce F

Reply to
Mr. B