regens

can anybody tell me what part of a computer i would have to max out to speed up regens? is it mostly video? ram? processsor?

i know all of the above would be optimal, but even with a p4 2.0, 768gb ddr, and a 32mb vid card, i have a substantial lag when i go from model to layout (or layout to layout) and i feel i should be able to flip through these instantly. the file is about 3 megs, but this is common for my type of work.

any thoughts would be appreciated

sean

snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

Reply to
me

I've got a feeling that the version of windows actually affects the regen rate as well. Your graphics card is probably the reason for this though.

Reply to
Mark

substantial lag would be 5-7 seconds

sean

Reply to
me

i've got a 32mb matrox millenium g450. thought that was pretty decent card, considering i'm using acad2000.

sesan

Reply to
me

holy crap!!! that's retarded! what's the point in having viewports if each one requires the memory of a whole drawing??? i think i am gonna be done with autocad soon. none of the 3d software i have used gives me this kind of graphic problems.

me

JP's claim about "every viewport carrying the entire dwg behind it" is incorrect. The data that's shown in the various viewports exists only once in the drawing database. Each viewport provides a customized "window" into those graphics, and, yes, when you do a REGENALL, each viewport will be regenerated, which may take some time. However, just having many viewports in a drawing does "NOT" slow down regeneration in model space. nor do viewports in non-active Layouts appreciably change the REGEN time of the active layout.

Factors that *do* slow down regen times are TrueType fonts, and great quantities of hatching. ___

Reply to
Paul Turvill