scaling differently in X and Y directions

I have drawn a simple long section. I have decided I want to change the vertical (Y) scale but keep the horizontal (X) scale the same. The scale
command doesn't seem to let you scale X and Y differently. I can do it by making it into a block, then reinserting it, specifying different X and Y scales then, but it's long-winded. Is there a command I'm missing? I've searched the help, with no help! The stretch commend is no good as some objects fall completely within the selection box, therefore only move. Thank you.
Arpe
"making it into a block, then reinserting it, specifying different X and Y scales" is the only way to do this.

Excellent idea as well!

the
scale
and
I've
some
In alt.cad.autocad , arpe wrote :

blocking it, then picking on it and in properties box changing the x and y would have taken less time than to post your question ! oh yeah explode it when done. ron