Updating Indexes

AutoCAD14 I recently wrote in message about a problem with one of my Lisp routines that is supposed to draw a line from the insert point of an on-screen block. The origin of the line was
being displaced and I thought this was caused by the variable "INSBASE", which was set to (7.00 8.50 0.00) rather than (0.0 0.0 0.0), (a displacement of <7.00,8.50,0.00> was exactly what I was seeing).
This problem is in a third party drawing and is something I have never experienced with my own drawings.
I have just noticed the message "Updating Indexes for block *MODEL_SPACE" that appears whenever I do a save of this third party drawing. What's that all about then? I've never seen this message appear in any other drawing. Does this index perhaps store the block displacement setting and therefore explain why resetting "INSBASE" to (0.0 0.0 0.) has no effect on my Lisp routine problem?
Is *MODEL_SPACE an anonymous block?
How do I view this *MODEL_SPACE index - or don't I?
--
Mike
-Please remove 'safetycatch' from email address before firing off your
mlv wrote:

check out INDEXCTL. When it is set to 2 or 3 you will get the Updating Indexes command line message Dave DDP
Dave wrote:

Hmm, just checked it out, and it's set to 1. However, I'm still getting the "Updating Indexes for block *MODEL_SPACE" messages during a 'save'.
I think INDEXCTL needs to be set to 0 to turn it off.
INDEXCTL doesn't affect the displacement problem I am experiencing. I now think it's a UCS problem and I need to be looking at the TARGET or UCSORG settings.