Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Letter "V" on a huge old anvil
An auction is coming up. It is something unusual, because most of their stuff is huge 1940s machines. I have never seen so much old stuff in one place. Anyway, I no longer buy anything for resale, did...
16
16

What are car springs made of?
Just to get some comments flowing, here's a comemnt Howard Clark made about this subject yesterday at the Guild of Metalsmiths Conference in Hastings, MN: "Since about the 1950's GM leaf springs have...
2
2

Differential hardening
Charles, Sorry but my news reader erased your post before I answered so I am writing this from memory. You are correct that a two step tempering process probably would not leave a "temper line" as the...
6
6

differential tempered EUROPEAN swords
Is there anyone that produces differential tempered EUROPEAN swords ? ( slightly off topic ) And, Would filling the fuller of a sword with a similar clay as used in heat treating Japanese swords work...
22
22

Power Hammer
Hello All I am busy planning and will get to building a tire hammer. I woudl like some idea of how to size the hammer. The anvil is going to be 6 inch round that I am going to mount on a 2inch thick...
1
1

Propane exercises in frugality ????
My first bottle of propane 5 gal (20 pounds ??) is down so my manifold pressure is less than 5 psi. I need at least 8 psi at my altitude, 9 is okay and 10 is great. The bottle still sloshes alot and...
19
19

Anvil repair
I am in the process of repairing the edges of a Peter Wright 155 lb. anvil I just picked up and need to pick the group brain as to what type of welding rod I need to use. Any help will be appreciated....
7
7

tempering help
I wish to make extended 5/8" dia pins for my HF Hossfeld bench type bender. Simplest plan I have is getting 5/8" dia X 5.5" cold rolled round stock. Is there a process I should do to heat treat these...
1
1

coke supplier WA
Nothing like a cold bevy after a day at the forge but can anyone tell me where i can buy a BAG of coke in WA...not even sure where to start. Bought my first forge yesterday but the guy just uses...
4
4

What do you make when demonstrating to the public?
I will soon begin demonstrating to the public again this season. When I am in a setting where there are lots of people, I usually demonstrate relatively simple items, since the attention spam of...
3
3

Another Tom Latane' workshop!
I am still working on my 16th century chest and lock project, so I probably won't attend this workshop, but I thought I'd give y'all a "heads up" on Tom Latane's latest offering: TOM LATANE' ...CHASED...

Power hammer video, Kinyon
Here is video of the Kinyon hammer I recently finished. I built this hammer using Ron Kinyon's plans, with some modifications.
25
25

Built a Kinyon air hammer
Pictures are here: they are displayed out of sequence, but they are numbered in production order. I still have to add the treadle and reinforce the anvil to the frame, but it does work. Todd

Principles of Direct Current Machines (1923)
Principles of Direct Current Machines (1923) By Alexander Langsdorf Additional information and photos of this book are available on this page: Description: McGraw Hill, New York, 1923. Hard Cover....

eBay: 428 lb. (194 kg) German anvil