Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

iron in the universe...
SWMBO and I have just gotten to playing with a half way decent telescope and learning about astronomy. Just learned that when some types of stars collapse, their cores are transformed into iron. Way...

Forging on TV tonight
a forwarded message from Brian Martens: Best regards, Bert http://tvschedules.pbs.org/modules/dtv/images/1.5/icon_empty.gif21.1

Swage block questions
I recently saw a swage block similar to the one at the bottom of this page I'd never seen this style of swage block before and I'm curious about it. I'm guessing the large curve at the top is for...
2
2

How are you attracting young people to blacksmithing?
For those of you who are members of a blacksmithing club, ABANA affiliates for example, what steps do you take to attract young people to get involved and how successful are you at it? I am fairly...
3
3

Bending jig
Have any of you seen this? Does it seem worth the money? I've watched this thing on ebay for a couple of years, made a couple of small segments of it for myself (not with the same quality or thickness...
1
1

Demonstrating Machine tools in threshing show blacksmith shops
I do a lot of blacksmithing at historical reenactments and threshing shows to show the visitors "how things used to be done". I really enjoy getting the visitors interested in what I am doing, but I...
4
4

Is this group still alive?
Haven't seen a lot of activity here. I've been away for a few months. Is this still used?
6
6

cutting edge insert
I don't see why a piece of a file or rasp would not work if it is inset into the edge of a woodworking tool, so that the cutting edge can be heat treated to make it hold an edge. . . . Anyone have any...
3
3

An off the wall thought...
...which, I'm sure a lot of you have had way before this, but: Before he started his first term, Obama swore he was going to do everything he could to kill the coal industry. Now that he's in his...
6
6

Everything there is to know about Buckskinners Equipment
Here is the world's most complete list of Buckskinner/old-fashioned camping gear ever assembled. Yessir, this list is totally complete! I'm certain that no one could ever think of (and describe) any...
1
1

Some European blacksmith tools to look at
Again, I am a little embarrassed to be the only one posting to this NG lately, but I thought some of you might be interested in seeing what the inside of some European blacksmith shops looks like....
1
1

A short essay on "Hooks" ---and a bit of heat-related trivia
When I open this newsgroup my newsreader, my own original posts show up in red. Recently I see that my subject line has a lot of my own posts in it, so I almost feel like I am hogging the newsgroup....
4
4

Leonard's Anvil
Here's a story about a practical joke that I tried to play on another blacksmith. It sorta backfired on me, but you might find it interesting. It is related to my previous post about the Czech...

I just got a new firepot, It is a little different
I just bought a "Czech" firepot. I have been looking for one for many years. You can read about it here: Pete Stanaitis ---------------- Blacksmtihing Pictures Of Interest
3
3

homemade power hammer suggestions needed
I discovered the leaf spring I have and planned to use in the hammer I am now designing does not have the center pin in the center. The 3/8" x 3" leaf spring has the pin 23.25" from one shackle hole...