Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Tempering help for beginner (long)
I can't locate any decent priced fullers, so I plan to use some extra large ball pein hammers and make the pein into the fuller part, or punch ( I have the handled cutoffs already)...also, may...
2
2

Houston Trip Hammer
Found this on Craigslist tonight. I have no idea who the seller is. http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/3052236484.html

LG Trip Hammer motor hookups
Every couple of months I get asked about installing or replacing the drive motor on a Mayer Bros./Little Giant trip hammer. I have a few webpages about that on my website. Today I added another...

Anyone one know what this top-tool is used for?
Heath bought it as part of a collection of old tools but we have never seen a tool like this and haven't yet figured out what it was used for. The other end was badly mushroomed indicating that...
6
6

Ironwork pictures to look at---
I have just added a gallery of ironwork on the Island of Cozumel, Mexico. You can see it at: Pete Stanaitis ---------------- Pictures of hand made decorative ironwork on the island of Cozumel, just...

Heavy duty blacksmithing classes
Tom Latane' and Peter Ross are having some serious blacksmithing classes at the Tunnel Mill craft school just south of Rochester, Mn. I have taken training from both of them and they are top notch....

heat treating pry bar
I have a 5/8",30" long pry bar that has a messed up 'wedge' end. Getting it the right shape using a forge would be no problem. But returning its strength is beyond my knowledge. . . .Sure would...
5
5

Decarb of fire strikers, final report
Come on, guys. There must be more to blacksmithing than just me babbling about things! Anyway, I just completed a webpage which contains the "Short Answer" that I gave to Alvin in Az a month ago plus...
2
2

ABANA conference in Rapid City SD, is anyone from this list going?
You can go to for registration details. Many members of the Guild of Metalsmiths will be there. My wife and I for one couple. Pete Stanaitis --------------- ABANA – The Artist-Blacksmith's...

Ping: Doug Roberts.
Gentleman that used to work (seaman) and live on Vancouvere Island, and then moved to the Canadian 'maritimes'. He was much help to me a few years ago and I lost contact with him. ASBSAA (?) could not...
2
2

Please reccomend some books
I need some reccommended blacksmithing books. What my current primary interests now are; tempering, identifying steels (sparks, ect) annealing. . . .sure would appreciate some imput on this. . .chas
2
2

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays...
...to all! Best regards, Bert

What do you know about Decarb of steel?
I ran into some trouble making fire strikers work properly late this summer. I have been making them for a long time and all of a sudden they quit working. Using brand new 3/16" X 1/4" W1 from MSC....
2
2

Forging a Dinner Bell
A year or so ago, I ran my camcorder while Myron Hanson and Dick Carlson (Guild of Metalsmiths) made a dinner bell at a Guild Meeting. Here it is, after some editing: Stanaitis -----------------

Roger Degner on making hollow anvils and hollow swage blocks
Here's a youtube video that I made of Roger Degner telling me how he made his hollow anvil and hollow swage block. He has made at least two anvils this way. I bought the first one he made at the Guild...
1
1