Ping: Doug Roberts.

Gentleman that used to work (seaman) and live on Vancouvere Island, and then moved to the Canadian 'maritimes'. He was much help to me a few years ago
and I lost contact with him. ASBSAA (?) could not locate him a few years back.. . chas in Montana.

You don't say if he's a blacksmith or not. There's a person of that name associated with the Cape Breton Blacksmiths, web site with contact info here:
http://www.cbblacksmiths.com /

There's a "master mariner" of that name in Nova Scotia mentioned here:
http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Doug/Roberts
HTH,
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada