Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Thoughts on Gas Forge Design and modification
Questions about gas forges come up often here and in other places. Here is an unfinished article I wrote on the subject: ---------------------------------------------------------- How to make a Gas...
2
2

A mistake of sorts-
Hello all, Turns out, I was able to make myself a forge sooner than I thought using scrap at work. It's looking good, and just needs refractory material to finish it off. Only problem is that it was a...
5
5

Trying to figure out appropriate forge size for burner- any help appreciated!
Hello all, I got myself a box of firebricks, and stacked them so that the area inside my little forge was 81 cubic inches. The only burner I have right now is a plumber's style propane torch- and...
31
31

Craft Show
On March 17th, 2007 the Texas Sugar Land Lions Club will present an indoor Arts & Craft show free to the public. We are accepting applications for this event from qualified crafters and media artists....

Patina question
Anybody know how to get a antique bronze finish onto steel? A friend of mine has seen a wet chemical patina that goes on hot and gives a light brown/bronze finish. It is finished with wax. If anyone...
18
18

A newbie anvil question
Hello folks- By way of introduction, I am a woodworker by hobby and a machinist/fabricator by trade. Recently, I've been running up against a bit of a wall when it comes to upgrading my tools any...
36
36

New pics on my site.
Hey! I just went down to a customers house today to finish up some items. I finally got some pics of the railing and the copper cladding we did. I think it looks much better in real life. Pardon the...
5
5

anyone know any good books with lots of patterns for scroll work?
I just acquired a whole bunch of Metalcraft equipment. In case you aren't familiar with this stuff, it's made in England, and marketed in a very weird way, sort of like "only sold at county fairs"...
25
25

Forging video
Hi guys, I just posted my first video to youtube. It is my employee Ash and I forging a hole in a 1-1/2" X 1" bar. It shows Ashen's ability with the sledge hammer and our comfort level working...
3
3

Homemade mini anvil
This is a mini anvil that was obtained by welding a rectangular piece of 4140 steel to a mini railroad rail. I needed it for straightening some stuff. Welded with 1/8" 6013 electrodes at about 150...
28
28

Strikers for Flint and steel Needed
I am looking for a blacksmith to make hardened steel "strikers" for use with flint for starting fires. quantity to start-100pcs. Please contact me for details and pricing. Thank you.
51
51

Coin making?
Ive looked on google and at the library but cant seem to find any info on striking coins, other than modern methods. I saw a guy making site tokens at an sca event once striking blanks. Im looking for...
14
14

Straightening a muffler
I have a Cummins L423D diesel engine that I am trying to slightly fix up. It has a muffler that was hit from the top sideways (when the engine was being moved on a forklift, I suppose). Anyway, the...
8
8

Blower
Hi Guys, The above is a pipe organ blower, it's cast iron, huge, shifts a lot of air and is quiet. Comments? Regards Charles
10
10

Heat Clay
Does anyone know how to get heat clay? links? suppliers? random info? Regards - Adam
1
1