Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

One way of designing a scroll
Not being artistic at all, I put together an excel spreadsheet that helps me to design an Archimedes Spiral type of scroll. It's not a fancy program, but it works. You can check it out at: By the way,...

Thermal expansion of steel
I was playing with putting a cross inside a small ring yesterday and found out that steel expands and shrinks when heated quite a bit more than I thought it would. Made the cross fit and hold by...
5
5

Rivets from Nails
This list has been pretty quiet for a while, so I thought I'd at least say something in blacksmithing. Anyway, I have been working on my gothic domed chest again and it's getting closer. As part of...
2
2

Rabbit Plaque: brass casting
I sent my new page out a while ago to my e-zine subscribers and thought I would share it with you too. It is a plaque I did using lost foam. Here is the address: D This page details the Rabbitry...
1
1

Blacksmiths Journal Top 50 is terminating, or not?
I got a email from the Blacksmiths Journal folks a couple of days ago saying that they were terminating their Top 50 list as of yesterday, Saturday, May 8, 2010. I noticed that it IS still up and...

How to quench a digging bar
I have a 6 foot long "digging bar" that I bought for $3 at a garage sale. It is made out of a 1 1/8" or so hex bar. On one end of it, it looks like a metal chisel (not wood chisel). On the other end,...
22
22

Wrong question: I should have asked "what are railroad rails made of?"
FYI: I got this from wikipedia rail profile: "The American Railway Engineering Association (AREA) and the American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM) specified carbon, manganese, silicon and...
2
2

Railroad spkes
This is an old issue that keeps popping back up. I used to have the metalurgical makeup of the RR spike. But I do remember they have a minimum carbon content of .30%. Depending on the batch they...
2
2

How hard are railroad rails and railroad spikes?
I spent the weekend with a couple of guys who spent most or all of their lives so far working on rail systems. Add to their input the input I have gotten from other sources and I am totally confused....
13
13

Hammer heat treating
Since we were talking about how to heat threat an anvil, it reminded me that I also would like to hear ideas about how people heat treat hammers. I've modified a couple of hammers and had to heat...
9
9

Anvil Refacing... Your opinions/experience requested
I had originally posted this on One of the gents suggested that I post this same request here. I know that this topic has been revisited many times... I've started the search for Rankin BBG and DDG...
16
16

William Flores Jr. carried on after dad in blacksmith shop
came across this. http://www.azstarnet.com/news/local/article_90c09187-b3b0-51d5-afa9-4bcc164e9ffb.html

pressing engagement
or shall i say, some fun in the shop ! i had a project that required some pressed sheet metal. that is, scroll elements pressed into 16 gauge steel. i formed the scrolls from 3/32 inch welding rod ....
1
1

Some fancier ironwork on the Yucatan Penninsula
I just added a third short east Mexican ironwork gallery to this page. This one is mostly interior ironwork at the Avalon Grand Hotel in Cancun, Mexico. Pete Stanaitis

How much does steel stock weigh?
I just put up this short page that has a few tips for figuring/ obtaining the wieght of steel that you might be buying, etc.: ideas have only been around for a few centuries, so I don't think I will...