Rivets from Nails

This list has been pretty quiet for a while, so I thought I'd at least say something in blacksmithing. Anyway, I have been working on my gothic domed chest again and it's getting closer. As part of that activity, I have had to prepare a bunch of parts to be riveted to the hinges and I am using nails for the rivets.

This page shows common nails specs and makes some comments on how to use them (or pieces of them) for rivets. No rocket science here, it's just that nails are handy ways to obtain stock in small sizes.

Pete Stanaitis

-------------------

Reply to
spaco

That is good info - have done it myself in a pinch - have a bunch of Al aircraft rivets if someone needs some.

I keep a good set of fractions, letters, numbers, and Metric by .1mm from .1 to I want to say 10 0r 20mm. In three sets on the metrics - been a while.

In any case, I have a large chart with all numbers on them. And I use it.

On good stuff, I'll step up through drills and almost ream with the last drill. Light final cut helps keeping the hole cool if very deep.

Mart> This list has been pretty quiet for a while, so I thought I'd at least

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

We used to use, and still use, galvanised roofing clouts to make spangenhelms, and gauntlets :-)

Regards Charles

Reply to
Chilla