Rivets from Nails

This list has been pretty quiet for a while, so I thought I'd at least say something in blacksmithing. Anyway, I have been working on my gothic domed chest again and it's
getting closer. As part of that activity, I have had to prepare a bunch of parts to be riveted to the hinges and I am using nails for the rivets.
This page shows common nails specs and makes some comments on how to use them (or pieces of them) for rivets. No rocket science here, it's just that nails are handy ways to obtain stock in small sizes.
http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/Chest/RivetsFromNails.htm
Pete Stanaitis -------------------
That is good info - have done it myself in a pinch - have a bunch of Al aircraft rivets if someone needs some.
I keep a good set of fractions, letters, numbers, and Metric by .1mm from .1 to I want to say 10 0r 20mm. In three sets on the metrics - been a while.
In any case, I have a large chart with all numbers on them. And I use it.
On good stuff, I'll step up through drills and almost ream with the last drill. Light final cut helps keeping the hole cool if very deep.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 5/27/2010 12:30 PM, spaco wrote:

spaco wrote:

We used to use, and still use, galvanised roofing clouts to make spangenhelms, and gauntlets :-)
Regards Charles