Anvil - Mobile within Shop?

My 110lb anvil is sitting on top of my workbench, so is much too high. I would like to build a stand for it, but hope to make it mobile. I need to move it a few feet into the middle of my garage each time I use it.

What are some of the stands you've built or seen that would allow an anvil to be moved within the shop? I've considered putting it on casters, but assume they wouldn't take the pounding.

Thanks. John

Reply to
John

John,

To do this you need to engineer a stand with castors mounted on eccentrics, so when the anvil is in place rotate the eccentrics to lower it to the floor. This way it is firmly seated and the castors don't have to 'take the pounding'

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I just milled an old stump to a rectangular solid and bound the corners top and bottom with strap iron, and made steel "feet" that closely match the profile of the anvil base. I just put the anvil on the stand (12x12" base) and when I want to move it around my shop I grab the horn and the heel and just walk it around. It's easy with a 140 pound anvil - it would be even easier with a 110 pounder.

See:

To reduce ringing, I cut out a piece of sheet lead that goes between the anvil and the stand. Works perfectly.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Either weld it uo from 2" thickwall L-angle, or use a treestump of a nice dense species like hornbeam. Either way, set the anvil on a sheet or two of roofing lead to quieten it.

Anvils on stands are quite easy to move by walking - the horn makes a good handle.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

My 232# Peter Wright is stuck down to the stump with RTV silicone caulk. It _doesn't_ move and it's as quiet as I could reasonably ask. Before I stuck it down, it rang like a *&$#@ bell. Ow.

-- Carl West snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
carlDOTwest

I've seen plasticine used as well.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
Jeffery

When you build your stand, be sure to include some diagonal straps to counter twist. If you throw one up out of angle iron, think about how high the center of gravity is going to be, and either increase the footprint at the floor or provide some base weight capacity to provide stability. An anvil that falls over like a redwood isn't very useful.

I built mine out of 2x4s standing on end like a butcher block, and 'banded' it with 2" angle. I left a cavity for the anvil to sit in so it wouldn't grow legs and dogged it with scrap wedges. Stays put, doesn't RING, the base weighs twice what the anvil weighs, doesn't fall over, even if you bump it with the forklift. Putting wheels on it would be simple, if I ever needed wheels. Cost about $60 US for the materials, took a morning to fab.

Charly

Reply to
Charly the Bastard

I stored a speaker magnet on my 125# machinist vise for a while. Mistake. Now the vise is magnetic. Filings stick to it. Feh. That's a lot of iron to de-gauss.

Nice thing about the RTV, it also holds the anvil to the stump. Very clean.

-- Carl West snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
carlDOTwest

One of our earliest "high tech" "life improvements" and one of our latest, mated. How can a guy beat that? ;)

Gaskets? We don't need no steenkeen gaskets!

Alvin in AZ (-the- Ultra-Black guy;)

Reply to
alvinj

A magnet scrounged off an old speaker and stuck on the side of your anvil will deaden the sound to a comfortable level.It also will hold small metal parts and tongs quite nicely.Or you could try sticking bananas in your ears The black knight

Reply to
paddy p