Any sources for coal forges?

Hey guys, Any companies out there selling fully assembled coal forges besides Centaur? I'm interested in a full size one. Thanks John

Reply to
Jmdaconceicao

No fully assembled ones that I'm aware of. They're so easy to build that many of us just do that instead. Or purchase only the key parts that may cause some difficulty (fire pot).

Is there a specific reason you're looking for one fully assembled/brand new? Many tools in this endevour have to be made from scratch anyway, starting by building your own forge is usually the first step.

Dan Crowther

blksmith

Dan, Centaur Forge does sell forges fully assembled. The reason is simple I would rather get to the blacksmithing than building forges. I just don't have the time for building tables and other boring projects. John

Reply to
Jmdaconceicao

If you don't want to, you don't want to. :)

I like making the tools and simple machines I use for knife making and other stuff, for me, it's the fun part. :)

Alvin in AZ (not a blacksmith)

Reply to
alvinj

I can understand that. However, just be prepared later on to have no other choice but to make time and build those "boring projects" since many times there IS no other source for certain tools.

Good luck with your smithing.

Daniel Crowther Gobae - The Smith

Dan Crowther

Hello John. Maybe you should consider a gas forge to save even more time. You should probably get to "beating on hot iron" as cheaply as possible because there is a lot of repetition required to learn the craft. You need to find out early if that will be too boring for you, too. Don't take this as a criticism; it's just that this craft doesn't come easily.

Sources for coal forges: Farm auctions Placing classified ads in newspapers (rural "shoppers" in particular) Buying or trading with other blacksmiths. Go to ABANA.org, find the affiliate closest to you and join it. They all have meetings where members gather. Most of us are collecting and upgrading all the time. Many have stuff for sale and/or know of places where it is. Also, many of the affiliates have newsletters with classified ads. Many offer training, too.

Pete Stanaitis

Jmdac> Dan,

Reply to
Pete & sheri

Reply to
Mark or Chris Parkinson

I cut a small hole in the side of the bucket for the tuyere, and a larger hole lower down for storing a coal supply (which also serves as ballast to stabilize the whole assembly) I left the bail on the bucket. Result is a portable coal forge I can carry in one hand complete with several hours' fuel suppl;y. (The blower is separate--I took along the freestanding Champion 400 that runs my regular forge, and wish it was as light as the new portable forge!)

As I say, not fancy, but it worked as well as my permanent forge, for several hours of continuous duty, and cost me less than two dollars to build. I've had occasional need for a portable rig, so I'm keeping it around, but it was so cheap and easy I could afford to throw it in the scrap and build another as needed if I was real short on storage space.

Conrad Hodson

Reply to
Conrad Hodson

Well, I don't know. If you're in a hurry or have a blower already, Mark (or Chris) is right. You'd do better to buy the firepot from Centaur and weld some plate up or something to create the hearth for your forge.

However, I got mine fully assembled, with the firepot, clinker breaker, and electric blower from Centaur on special. Sometimes they have specials and I picked his whole deal up for like $300.

Look around the web site and call them with any questions. I will definitely be building my next forge myself because it will be permanent and I know what I want. However, I like my portable deal because right now I'm stuck forging in the driveway.

Also,

is a great site to visit. He has lots and lots of great information there on everything; even on building forges. Also, see my web site
for pictures of my forge. You can get an idea of what i got for my money.

I hope this helps,

rvb

Reply to
Rick Barter

Uh...sorry. I forgot to post the full link to the pictures. My web site is a work in progress.

For the pictures, go here:

coal_rake_in_use.jpg gives a great picture of the coal forge.

Reply to
Rick Barter

Its Mark :) for pictures of my coal forges go to

my forgecart
uses the vulcan heavy fire pot from centaur

Mark

Reply to
Mark or Chris Parkinson

Wow, Mark! That is one sweet cart! I like the great bellows also. Where'd you get the leather for it? Do you have plans for it? I want to make a bellows like that for my smithy.

rvb

Reply to
Rick Barter

thanks the cart works well for my re-enactments I'll be putting some pic's on my site soon of an event that I did early in the summer....

the leather came from the Mohawk reserve nearby Deseronto I used deerskin I used the plans from several sorces but the best information came from The Blacksmith ironworker & farrier by Aldren A. Watson isbn # 0-393-32057-x it give the plans for making a bellows from start to finish the most complete instructions I have ever seen ...I'm located in Kingston, Canada. I have a smaller "great" bellows under consruction at the moment you are welcome to come and take a look if you are close by.

Mark

Reply to
Mark or Chris Parkinson

I would love to, but alas, I'm in Houston, Texas. Not exactly 'close by'. Not exactly good forging weather right now either. :)

rvb

Reply to
Rick Barter

A quick look at the above link showed a portable forge on the homepage for US$265.95. Looks like a decent little unit from the pic.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Dillman

That's the one I have. I don't have that backdraft piece though. It's a great little unit.

rvb

Reply to
Rick Barter