GAS FORGE ???????

I am starting to make a gas forge. I have a gas tank (C0 2) bottom that I am going to use. The dimensions are 7 3/4" dia by 12". What I need to know is that,

1--do I need a hole in the back end. 2--How thick do I put in the kaowool, I will be using 1" thick wool 3--do I put the shelf on top of the K-wool before I seal it with Rigidizer 4-- where would the torch hole be

I will be using a JTH-7 torch. Most of my knives are small caving knives and some carving azes' using O-1 and L 6 metal. Thank you

Reply to
Richard

It looks like you are making a forge to support your woodworking, right? In other words, you'll make a few smallish knives and such, and that will mostly be it?

Not unless you plan on putting something longer than the forge in it. The hole would allow you to poke whatever your are working on through the forge so you could heat up something in the middle.

I think 1" walls should work fine for you, but the burner you're using is not going to put out a lot of heat, so you should probably go with

2". , The only thing that with a 2" wall it's 3 3/4" of open space, which is getting pretty small. If your stuff will fit, then it shouldn't be a problem, though.

Shelf? Do you have a ceramic shelf? If you are just heating up metal, and not doing any welding w/flux then you should be fine without a shelf. The bottom of the forge should be roughly flat, though, so you can position stuff around the floor of the forge.

I'd put it on top, off to the side a bit so the flame swirls around.

You might be better off stacking a few soft firebricks, or even hollowing one out. That burner isn't going to put out a lot of heat, so smaller is better.

Reply to
jpolaski

[...]

Sorry about the multiple replies -- I kept getting an error that said it didn't go through.

Reply to
jpolaski

Thanks for the info. I make about 30 to 50 carving knives, a few mini chisels , and some bent knives and adzes a year for sale. I have been using a Prest-o-lite Acetylene torch for the small stuff, and the coal forge for the lager stuff. BUT I have a new neighbor that can't stand the smoke from the coal forge and yells and bitch every time I fire it up. and sometime when I don't???? So I figurer that this way will be cheaper and quieter.

Reply to
Richard

As stated, only if you think you might have a work piece that is longer than the forge. Keep in mind that while a tightly sealed chamber will hold the heat better, you need to make sure that the pressure going in is not greater than the resistance going out your exhaust path. If you seal it too well then the gas pressure will blow back at the torch. Not fun.

I like 2 inches. Keep in mind that the more heat you retain, the less gas you have to burn. If your insulation is good you can heat a pretty large volume.

I don't think it matters. As for whether you need the shelf at all... the thinner the work is, the more likely it is to sag under heat so I think it's a good idea. I'm building a new forge right now and I will be putting a mizzou bottom in it that is straight and level. Keeping the work from sagging can be a pain with longer pieces.

I find that running it in from the back straight towards the front works best for me - but you need volume for the the heat to distribute well. A long narrow tube won't work well. Try to keep the diameter a large percentage of the length

GA

Reply to
Kyle J.