How Do You Make a Shaping Cone?

I have been looking for a long while to buy a shaping cone....without success.
So how does one make a shaping cone?
Or what is out there as a good substitute for one?
Thanks
TMT
Depends upon what you are shaping. Mostly they are just cones on a stick or other means of holding the cone while it is being used.
--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

stick or

Get a plastic traffic cone, take it to your nearest iron foundry and get them to use it as a pattern.
AWEM
Bob May wrote:

I made mine by making a conical "birds nest" of 3/4" bar about 2' high and about 2" diameter tapering to about 3". Then filled it with rebar and concrete :.))
I used a traffic cone as the mould
> > -- > Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds? >
cos they can't fly? ;.)
--
BigEgg
Hack to size. Hammer to fit. Weld to join. Grind to shape. Paint to cover.
"Too_Many_Tools" > wrote in message

I went to the Le Sueur MN Pioneer Power swap meet last year and saw 4 or 5 for sale. A four foot high cone was priced at $225.00 and I would have liked to drag it home. Although it might be a far piece for you to travel I am sure there will be more this year. http://www.pioneerpowershow.com / Steve
Shaping cone, a cone used to shape things (?)
Sounds simple, but could someone be more specific as to what this is used for?
Richard
--
No trees were killed in the composition and sending of this message
... however ...

You can sometimes find long pipe reducers that go from 8" pipe down to 4" pipe.
I have a cone mandrel and have no intention of selling it at this time.
You could build one by welding sections of heavy pipe into slight cones and stack them.
Lots of welding and grinding.
You can buy smaller new ones.
--
Welding Instructor - South Seattle Comm. Coll.
- Divers Institute of Technology

This foundry casts these cones.
http://www.hernironworks.com/blacksmith.html
brad
Maybe six years ago I picked up a flyer for these guys Green-Mengel Blacksmithing Tools Eric Green (610)562-3026 Steven Mengel (610)562-8561 snipped-for-privacy@nni.com I don't know if they're still in business, but they had cones.
Steve
Brad wrote:

Mine is four feet tall, about an inch diameter at the top and about 15 inches at the bottom. Got it, a forge, blower, and some loose metal at a farm sale for $100 US.
I sold the forge for $100 and figured I gave that buyer a big break, but he was a beginning smith and needed a decent forge. So I guess the cone mandrel was sorta free in the end. :)
--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.