Making Iron The Old-Fashioned Way Is A Tricky Business

All the good archaeologist needs to do is find Thomas Powers, aka Master Wilelm the Smith in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
He's been doing it annually at the Pennsic War for years. He and his crew start by building a clay furnace from local materials and end with a finished hand-forged wrought iron product.
Thom loves working real wrought iron and can make his own if he can't find any other source.
I lost some of my addresses in a computer changeover or I'd provide an email address, but he can be found by asking on rec.org.sca or possibly through Google.
IIRC, there are several people working at duplicating early iron age processes, including Al Pendray who's made Wootz steel after many attempts.

Actually, as another member of that crew, it is Flaxy who is our iron mistress.

        Todd Rich / Torin Ironbrow

Oops, you're right! Sorry 'bout dat!:)