Material for making tongs

I have at my disposal a bunch of 7/16 rods that were the spokes on some old metal wagon wheels. Is this material too thin to make tongs from. So far,
most places I have found recommend 5/8 sucker rod.
Rodney
R.L. Groshans wrote:

Small tongs , maybe, or you could double or triple the end for a bit, weld it together and forge the jaws. Could use it for the reins. Forge weld it ont a small block of heavier stock to forge jaws from. Have fun!
Cheers Trevor Jones
Actually, taking all of the advice into consideration, I am thinking of folding over the last 3-4 inches and forge weld it back on to itself, round that out and use that part to form the head of the tongs. Then, whatever is left of the "enlarged" section, draw back out to the original 7/16 diameter using a gradual taper.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Rodney

Yeah. :) ...and pictures too! Ok? :)
I can host them if you haven't got a place to put the pictures.
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/hosting /
Alvin in AZ (XX=panix)
Gday Rodney, did you perchance spark test this material? As a wagon wheel it could be wrought iron, and if it is it's worth saving for something special, as real wrought iron is hard to come by these days. Have a look at any blacksmithing manual for pics of what the sparks look like. Regards Rusty_iron