new to the trade but having fun

Too much air will cause "huffing". You'll know what that is if you experience it. If the flame won't stay on the end of the tourch you need a better flame holder. You can use any kind of center drilled cross-hairs setup you can think of but it needs to be about an inch back of the front edge of the burner tube and not be too restrictive. Alternately use a conical or stepped expansion cone on the end to hold the flame. Never got the twelve to one ratio thing to work for me. Had to do something more dramatic. All said and done though, you can't go wrong with a Rex prebuilt ventury burner. Don't say I didn't tell you so...

GA

Reply to
Greyangel

Ok so here's something I've been wondering about...

Ignoring the extremes of mixture... what about the "blue cone"? It has different shades of blue even a greenish one. Any place you know of that talks about what the color means?

Acetylene is easy as pie, even hooking up propane to an Oxy-torch doesn't make the mixture "cut and dried" like the acetylene does. You get shades of blue and green with no "feather" etc.

Hmmm... maybe need to ask this on the welding NG? :) Oooo a cross-post? :) I like cross posts like that, it's almost like having a visiting speaker come to your club, but better somehow.

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Guess you run an all electric home or stay far from the kitchen, furnace, and hot water heater.

A blue flame is a tuned mixture flame. Kitchen stoves run that way and when the user cranks up the gas to full blast, often unburnt gas is present in the yellow flame that soots the pans. (soots the furnace and hot water stove pipes also.)

Propane torch ? - blue when hot.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

here's a good reference for you, i think this is what you want.

me