Propane forges in Massachusetts

So, we're trying to open a smithing shop/school in Massachusetts. We're hearing all sorts of stories about regulations for Propane appliances (like forges) and how they need to be approved by this or that authority. We've checked with Centaur and they've checked with some of their forge manufacturers and none of them seemed to know anything about Massachusetts' required certification system. Apparently there is also an added confusion because there is (low-pressure) natural gas already available in the building.

Is there anyone here with experience jumping through the various hoops in Massachusetts?

- Carl

Reply to
Carl

Where in Mass are you trying to setup?

Sean

appliances (like forges) and how they need to be approved by this or that authority. We've checked with Centaur and they've checked with some of their forge manufacturers and none of them seemed to know anything about Massachusetts' required certification system.

(low-pressure) natural gas already available in the building.

Reply to
Me

Waltham.

Reply to
Carl

I have been considered something similiar out on the western end near northampton.

Reply to
Me

Carl check with your local building dept. the plumbing/heating inspector should be able to help you. Some people will tell you to avoid this can of worms, but they (BI) are the local authority and generally have the final say anyway. I do code enforcement in NY but the focus is in a different area and we are generally easier to deal with when contacted up front as opposed to after the fact ("I did not know I needed a permit for that?") Be prepaired to discuse the type of building construction, sq footage, ventalation, sprinklers & smoke detectors. I don't belive you have liquid propane tanks or piping that contains LPG inside your building, the storage must be outside. In order to use low pressure natural gas you will need a forced air burner, with propane you can use a venturie type burner.

Enjoy and good luck with the school

Andrew

Reply to
AndrewV

Well, that is close to me. I hope you will be reasonable in costs (wow!! a kettle of worm opener -there).

I'm in Northborough and still have this in my agenda.

50 years -and still planning !!

Anyway... look at

I suggest you send an email (through someone else if you ever want to use the "I didn't know that" in the future) to Stephen Coan who is the State Fire Marshall. You will probably hear something back that would at-least send you in the right direction.

Waltham has a good Fire Department. Ask the Fire Prevention officer.

Are you a school, industry, or private group?

Later, Dave

Reply to
David Hunt

Well, it turns out that coal is the way to go. The Department of Environmental Protection is not concerned about the burning of coal at rates less than one million BTUs per hour. It's just a matter of not pissing off the neighbors.

- Carl

Reply to
Carl