You could take it to a gunsmith that does bluing and get your stuff blued if you don't mind darkening of the metal. This will also help with rust prevention.

Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 07:43:29 GMT Author: Tomas Wilhelmsson Destination: alt.crafts.blacksmithing

====================================================================== "Forty years ago, when the resolution of enslaving America was formed in Great Britain, the British Parliament was advised...to disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them; but that they should not do it openly, but weaken them, and let them sink gradually, by totally disusing and neglecting the militia..."

- George Mason

Reply to
Cynewulf

If that process interests you there's another called Parkerizing that leaves a "phosphate coating".

I have another process I call Hickerizing that doesn't use the expensive, proprietary, "one time use" chemicals Parkerizing uses.

I just soak stuff in phosphoric acid. ;) Read the label if it has phosphoric acid in it it'll say so. :)

The use of phosphate coatings (parkerizing not hickerizing;) are wide spread in industry... "the" ;) processing of metals before primer is applied if corrsion resistance is important like automobile bodies for example.

Phosphate coatings are porous and so soak up some of the primer or paint... it also holds oil, grease, wax or varnish and is "the" process used to make breaking-in of cam shafts work out as good as it does. :)

Didn't think that infomation applied to the OP of this thread but now that "gunsmith's bluing" has been metioned... ;)

Parroting back what I read in ASM's Metals Handbook is all. :/

But "hickerizing" works good too, especially on old rusty tools.

Before taking anything to a gunsmith to be blued call around... their prices can vary my 10 times and a bunch don't blue, but instead contract it out. Some of them feel like they are "arteests" and think they are worth more than they are. :/

BTDT and found a guy that did his and almost every other gunsmith in the area's bluing. He was also the only one that would blue my parts "as is" and not insist on a "final buffing". Man, I did not want that shiney-light-blue gunsmith re-blued look! I was after the dark-factory look and got it (and better;) for $18.50 for each old gun. Down side for most people tho was the ~200 hours sanding out each gun. In my case tho, it was exactly what I -wanted- to do. :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj