S7 question

Hello all,
I have been racking my brain for about a week and a half, trying to think of the alternate designation for S7 steel I *thought* I had
heard of and recognized.
Anyone know if the stuff has another name? It seems as though there's a more common ASNI designation that would make it easier to find, but I could be just misremembering.
What are you making with S7 ?
I buy rod at MSC.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Prometheus wrote:

-
I'm not him, but I use it for hot work chisels. Holds a real good edge when chiseling in red to orange hot steel. What do you use it for? My other 3 hot work steels would be Atlantic 33, S1 and H13.
Pete Stanaitis -------------------------------
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

I use it too, for chisels and drifts. One word of caution though, if the metal gets too hot it will harden and become quite brittle. I had 1 inch drift blow up on me under a 16lb sledge. The top section shot off and banged around the shop for while and came to rest under a striker team working at the next forging station. Cool but kind of scary.
I havent had luck annealing it either so cutting after it has been forged can be a bit of a pain if accidental hardening happens. Any advice on "real" (blacksmith heat treating not heat treaters heat treating) heat treating of S-7 would be very much appreciated.
Andrew Molinaro
www.artisansoftheanvil.com

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but a few years ago I "tested" my ash bucket because I kept hearing about putting your part to be annealed in there to soften. Ashes ain't the answer for anything but the simplest carbon steel in my opinion.
See: > http://www.spaco.org/Pete 'sAshBucketAnneal.gif
The best idea I've ever heard for annealing something like S7 was to "build a big fire in the "Round Oak Heater", throw in your parts, fill the stove with wood and shut off the draft. Never tried it, but sounds plausible.
Andrew Molinaro wrote:

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:43:46 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
Hot work tools- I need basically all of them. The S7 is on Pete's advice. I figure a bar of 1.5" x 36" round will make me a number of useful hardie tools (I have a small anvil, so there's no need for larger than that, I figure), and a thinner bar will work well for a handful of punches and chisels. The larger diameter will be for a bick, a hot cut, a bottom fuller, and some various other useful shapes for hammering things on.
I did note that there is a tool steel other than S7 that is specifically for hot work, but the literature I looked at indicated that S7 works like mild steel, which sounds good to me after discovering how much work it is to forge 1095.

I got a quote from Cincinnati tool steel that was very reasonable for the stuff today. Finding as S7 isn't a problem, it's just been bothering me that I thought I was familiar with the stuff under a different name, and I can't remember what it was. Whatever it was called, it was from Jorgenson steel. Nearest I can remember, it may have been just a similar alloy that was named for it's component metals like Chro-Moly followed by a numerical code.
Doesn't really matter, it just keeps popping into my head like a bad tune.