Getting into 1991 Cavaliar Wagon (Lock problems)

I put my old car away for the winter, locked the doors and realized I had left something I need in it. Voila, even though I have the key I cannot get into the car using either door lock or the rear hatch lock. Here's what happens:

Right Door: Cylinder just turns around in hole and nothing seems to engage. Left Door: Seems like it's opening but won't go the full distance. When I look at the inside of door from the other side of the car it appears to be about 1/2 open (It's a sliding type lock). Hatch: Key will only fit in about 1/4 of way.

What I've tried so far: Lock Deicer, WD40.

Tomorrow I was planning on trying a wedge in the door window and a coat hook but thought first I would check in the NG. Perhaps some of you have an alternate idea or can offer some advice on how to make it go easier.

Thanks. Josh

Reply to
Josh

Linkage disconnected. Door has to be opened, and opened up, to fix it.

Sounds like the problem is, again, linkage rather than lock cylinder. Spraying things in the lock won't help and may hurt.

That sounds like ice... unless all the damage on the door means someone's been messing with the vehicle and damaged this one too.

Unfortunately, the advice I could offer would fall in the category of defeating instructions and I won't give it to someone I don't know or post it on a public list. So I have to fall back on the secondary advice: Someone's gonna have to deal with that disconnected linkage anyway; you might as well pay them a few more bucks and have them work on the other locks at the same time.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

Damm, I just wanted to get the car opened. The right door was fixed earlier last summer but something must of broke. I'm sure the rear lock has not been tampered with (no scratch marks, basically it's not a car someone would want to steal).

Temperatures here in the next few days will be above freezing so maybe the rear hatch will be accessible.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

---snip---

---snip---

did you get the part about "defeating instructions" given to someone unknown ?

call a professional if it remains a problem.

Reply to
Key

Use a hair dryer to warm up the hatch cylinder.

Reply to
Glen Cooper
<snip><No Off>

Go have a good locksmith make you a few copies of your key-in brass.(no plastic head) Then take a pair of vise grips and clamp them on the bow of the key.Take a Zippo lighter and get 'er git good and hot and leave in the keyway for a while-works for me.

goma.

Reply to
goma865