removing a mortise lock if you can't open the door

Last year I lost the only key to one of my outer doors. I think the lock is what is known as a mortise lock - it isn't the Yale type, with the keyhole in a brass disc, but the kind that has an 'old-fashioned looking' key, with a cylidrical shaft. The key itself was very simple, just two 'prongs' of equal length, and as far apart as possible. From this, I'd suppose the lock itself has two levers.

I went to a locksmith's shop and asked if they could cut a key based on my description, but the man just pointed at all the dozens of blank sizes and said that would be impossible.

I don't really care if I can't open this door, but I rent the property, and sooner of later the landlord is going to want his flat back in the condition I left it - and that means with doors that you can open!

A locksmith, of course, could solve this problem, but the quotes I've been given are exhorbitant.

I could easily replace the lock itself if I could get the door open, but as it appears to be the type that slots into the end of the door, I can't see how to do it. I can't take the hinges off either, as they're covered up, the door being closed.

Any suggestions please?

Reply to
stuart

Most of these simple mortise locks can be opened using the appropriate series master key. So, my suggestion is to enlist the service of a local locksmith to use his master key, or, just pick it open. Either way it will take about 10 seconds to do the job, so all you will have to pay for is his service call, and maybe a few bucks on top of that. Value for money !

Reply to
Steve Paris

Are you talking about keys like this?

If so, there are all kinds of them on eBay. Just type in skeleton key or skeleton keys.

Leon Rowell

stuart wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

Dear Stewie, In order to find out what exorbidant price really is, I suggest that you try to service the lock yourself. About $850.00 worth of repairs later (IF you are lucky) will convince you, guaranteed. Lose the cheap attitude, and you just might get a locksmith to help you, but not on the phone when you atart with, "How much will it cost me to" because that cheap skate attitude really turns locksmiths off.

Reply to
Bill Halle

Yes & I also know that a lot of them are worn enough that just about any key of that type will open them.

Leon

'Key wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

Remember Key, it's a bit key. I'd get close to $100 to pick open and rekey standard mortise cylinder.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

??????

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

^Another reason why I NEVER give a quote over the phone (granted the exception of a return customer, which in that case, I would know of the equipment used.), Especially when the customer uses phrases such as:"I think" or "I suppose" or "one of those kind of locks that has the thingy on it".

You may be able to get a locksmith to look at this and give you a quote without a whole lot of money.Depends on how urgent you make it.

goma.

Reply to
goma865